[ALAC] ALAC Representative on the .NGO Community Advisory Council

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Jan 13 18:25:51 UTC 2017

Some interesting points, and I will address them one by one.

At 13/01/2017 12:12 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>On 13 January 2017 at 11:02, Alan Greenberg
><<mailto:alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:
>
>Although I clearly understand the connection between PIR:ISOC:ISOC
>Chapters, I am curious as to exactly what you see as the potential conflict?
>

>At a meta level, this:
>
>PIR does a great many objectively-good things in supporting
>user-centric and progressive Internet Governance, not only in its
>support of ISOC (though that is its most high-profile benefactor).
>But to do that, PIR must still maximize revenue from domain sales,
>which presents a potential conflict with At-Large approaches to domain policy.

I think that this is an issue that does require some thought and
which is why from my perspective I had to think about it. But not an
awful lot. I have a pretty good knowledge of PIR. I was the one of
those on the ISOC Board who strongly pushed for ISOC to bid on .org
(against some strong opposition), and I personally know most of the
senior people in PIR. Of all of the entities in the domain business,
I feel that they are more closely aligned with what we stand for than
anyone else I can think of. And should .NGO one day do something that
we are against, this representative will potentially (factoring in
the potential need for confidentiality) give use advance notice of
more insight into it. And I cannot imagine us not making a negative
comment on such an issue just because we have a rep on the advisory council.

>I'm also concerned about the optics.

As are we all. But optics are PERCEIVED conflicts and they are, to
some extent, a fact of life. They must be addressed and where
possible managed, but cannot be eliminated. The many patently false
statements about us in the quotes in the draft review document are
great examples of this.

>As I said in an earlier mail, the At-Large Review seems overly
>interested by the ALAC/ISOC connections, and this would be a good
>opportunity -- if we can so avail -- to bring forward those in the
>community outside that alleged influence. That's all.

The report is curious in this area. It implies too much focus on ISOC
Chapters, then goes on to say we should work more closely with ISOC.

>If the talent pool is sufficiently small that the best rep is indeed
>an ISOC Chapter member, and PIR is OK with that, then OK by me too.
>I just suggest making an explicit effort looking outside ISOC-affiliated ALSs.

I will make sure the selection committee factors this in. Hopefully
we will have a rich enough candidate pool that this is even relevant.
To the extent that those on this list can reach out to appropriate
ALSes, the more likely this will be to happen (the Call will be going
out in a few minutes).