[ALAC] ALAC Representative on the .NGO Community Advisory Council

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Jan 13 17:12:37 UTC 2017

On 13 January 2017 at 11:02, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>
wrote:

> Although I clearly understand the connection between PIR:ISOC:ISOC
> Chapters, I am curious as to exactly what you see as the potential conflict?

​At a meta level, this:

PIR does a great many objectively-good things in supporting user-centric
and progressive Internet Governance, not only in its support of ISOC
(though that is its most high-profile benefactor). But to do that, PIR must
still maximize revenue from domain sales, which presents a potential
conflict with At-Large approaches to domain policy.

I'm also concerned about the optics. As I said in an earlier mail, the
At-Large Review seems overly interested by the ALAC/ISOC connections, and
this would be a good opportunity -- if we can so avail -- to bring forward
those in the community outside that alleged influence. That's all.

If the talent pool is sufficiently small that the best rep is indeed an
ISOC Chapter member, and PIR is OK with that, then OK by me too. I just
suggest making an explicit effort looking outside ISOC-affiliated ALSs. ​