[EURO-Discuss] Accepting NomCom nomination

Matthias C. Kettemann m.kettemann at leibniz-hbi.de
Wed May 13 23:22:29 UTC 2020

Dear all,

as a follow-up to Erich's nomination, I gladly accept to be a candidate for the NomCom.

Born in Austria's secret capital, Graz, the home of Arnold Schwarzenegger, I'm in my late 30s with two kids who seem to no longer enjoy my homeschooling-related jokes just as much as they did five weeks ago. I currently live on Norderney https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norderney , a small North Sea island tethered to the world by - happily - an Internet cable and some ferries.

I'm currently Head of Research https://leibniz-hbi.de/en/staff/matthias-c-kettemann for Rules in Online Spaces at Germany's best-known media research institute, the Leibniz Institute for Media Research. After law studies in Austria, Geneva, and Harvard, I completed my postdoc in Frankfurt. In all I've been working on Internet governance and Internet law for the last 15 years. I'm deeply passionate about investigating how online rules are made and legitimated. In July my next book on that topic will be published open access https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-normative-order-of-the-internet-9780198865995?q=Kettemann&lang=en&cc=gb by OUP. In it I develop a theory of comprehensive Normative Order of the Internet https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-normative-order-of-the-internet-9780198865995?q=Kettemann&lang=en&cc=gb . Yes, it's as juicy as it sounds. I'm also working on the interaction of private and public norms (Setting Rules for 2.7 Billion), https://leibniz-hbi.de/uploads/media/Publikationen/cms/media/5pz9hwo_AP_WiP001InsideFacebook.pdf  trying to bust Internet myths https://internetmyths.eu ,  show the diversity of the Internet (Many Words. Many Nets. Many Visions) https://leibniz-hbi.de/uploads/media/default/cms/media/8j8a0vb_IGF-Statements-Critical-Voices-WEB.pdf and participate very actively in internet governance discourses (Towards a Global Framework for Cyber Peace and Digital Cooperation: An Agenda for the 2020s) https://leibniz-hbi.de/uploads/media/default/cms/media/05sk62i_Kleinwa%CC%88chter,%20Kettemann,%20Senges%20(eds.),%20Global%20Framework%20for%20Cyber%20Peace%20(2019).pdf .

I'm also Visiting Professor (Vertretungsprofessor) for International Law https://www.rewi.uni-jena.de/fakult%C3%A4t/lehrst%C3%BChle+und+dozenten/%C3%B6ffentlichrechtliche+lehrst%C3%BChle/lehrstuhlvertretung+international+law+pd+dr_+kettemann  at the University of Jena, run a project on International Internet Law https://www.hiig.de/project/volkerrecht-des-netzes/  at the  Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society (HIIG) https://www.hiig.de/matthias-kettemann/ , Berlin and act as a Research Group Leader for Content and Platform Governance at the Sustainable Computing Lab https://privacylab.at/people/ of the Vienna University of Economics and Business. I've been a member of a number of hiring committees and have been involved in drafting norms, developing projects, implementing ideas, and collabowriting proposals in different settings with varied partners for the last 15 years. I'll gladly use my experience to ensure that our interests are best represented in NomCom.

I look forward to the next steps.

Kind regards

Matthias

PS: If you a bit of time, consider contributing https://www.global-cooperation.digital/GCD/Navigation/EN/Contributions/contributions.html to the process championed by Germany to develop ideas to implement Recommendations 5AB of the HLPDC report of last year. I've been involved in different projects to ensure international stakeholder inclusion in these processes and have drafted, with colleagues, a comment as well: How to Build an Enhanced Mechanism for Digital Cooperation https://www.global-cooperation.digital/GCD/Redaktion/EN/Downloads/kleinwaechter-kettemann.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=2 .

--

PD Dr. Matthias C. Kettemann, LL.M. (Harvard)

Leibniz Institute for Media Research | Hans-Bredow-Institut (HBI)
Head of Research • Research Program Regulatory
Structures and the Emergence of Rules in Online Spaces
Rothenbaumchaussee 36 • 20148 Hamburg • Germany
mail mailto:m.kettemann at hans-bredow-institut.de •  web https://hans-bredow-institut.de/en/staff/matthias-c-kettemann • +49 (0)40 45 02 17 36

Visiting Professor (Vertretungsprofessor) for International Law https://www.rewi.uni-jena.de/fakult%C3%A4t/lehrst%C3%BChle+und+dozenten/%C3%B6ffentlichrechtliche+lehrst%C3%BChle/lehrstuhlvertretung+international+law+pd+dr_+kettemann , Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena • Privatdozent for International Law, Internet Law, Legal Theory, Institute for Public Law,  https://www.jura.uni-frankfurt.de/60080599/Habilitationen University of Frankfurt https://www.jura.uni-frankfurt.de/43016002/Lehrendes_Personal •  Project Lead, International Internet Law,  https://www.hiig.de/project/volkerrecht-des-netzes/ Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society (HIIG) https://www.hiig.de/matthias-kettemann/ , Berlin • Research Group Leader, Content and Platform Governance, Sustainable Computing Lab https://privacylab.at/people/ , Vienna University of Economics and Business • Convener of the Frankfurt Colloquia on Internet Research, Normative Orders http://www.normativeorders.net/de/organisation/mitarbeiter-a-z/person/442  Research Group http://www.normativeorders.net/de/organisation/mitarbeiter-a-z/person/442 , University of Frankfurt am Main • Lecturer, Institute of International Law and International Relations http://voelkerrecht.uni-graz.at/en/ , University of Graz, Austria

New publications: Kettemann/Schulz,Setting Rules for 2.7 Billion. https://leibniz-hbi.de/uploads/media/Publikationen/cms/media/5pz9hwo_AP_WiP001InsideFacebook.pdf  A (First) Look into Facebook’s Norm-Making System (2020) • Kettemann, The Normative Order of the Internet http://publikationen.ub.uni-frankfurt.de/files/53306/Matthias-Kettemann_The_Normative_Order_of_the_Internet.pdf , Normative Orders Working Paper 01/2020 • Kettemann/Kleinwächter/Senges, Let’s build a better Internet https://www.hiig.de/digitale-dekade-die-zukunft-des-internets-steht-auf-dem-spiel  (January 2020)