[EURO-Discuss] Accepting NomCom nomination

Erich Schweighofer erich.schweighofer at univie.ac.at
Thu May 14 04:44:12 UTC 2020

Dear all, Matthias,

thanks a lot for your very nice presentation of the profile – it describes very well what you can offer to ICANN.

I may add that I have told him – you are an excellent candidate – great and very appreciated that you have done this step and agree to be subject to ICANN and At-Large scrutiny BUT – you are not nominated to win easily. EURALO has great candidates and please be ready to accept that others may be considered as better qualified THIS TIME. Our colleague from the Netherlands has a good history of ICANN engagement in the last years, the colleagues from France are representing underrepresented groups – seniors and juniors – and the family as such – has a remarkable history of ICANN engagement. Family nepotism must be avoided but families with a strong ICANN history of engagement must be considered by its merits. I remember one sentence in the GoT: The family is what remains are you are dead and rotting in the ground. We should take a positive approach to the engagement of families, considering that firms, lobbying groups, states, international organisations, regions etc. have the history of engagement and influence and biased behaviour. Thus, why treat families in a different way?
At-Large must find ways to finance the engagement without ICANN support and families are one solution, the other (and preferred option) is collecting money for this purpose. €100,000 is not that much, can be raised and would greatly support INDEPENDANT ENGAGEMENT.

Best regards,
Erich

P.S. Being a Styrian myself but living in Vienna since 1977, I do not see Graz as a secret capital of Austria. Schwarzenegger is a great actor, was a governor but is not treated rationally by Austrian politicians. They overdo his importance and like to kiss his ass. He a great man and the most famous Austrian now (we do not mention  the other guy renouncing his citizenship in about 1925 because of fears that he may be expelled to Austria. Graz is doing a very fine job in being the gate to the Balkan area. Its historic role is long gone but was of world-wide experience. The Austrian Hapsburgs organised the defence against the Osman Empire from Graz, giving the management to the local dynasty of Hapsburgs. Graz and Styria have done very well. Battle ground was mostly Croatia leaving some parts unpopulated for a while and being attractive  for Serbian  settlements.

ao. Univ.-Prof. Mag. DDr. Erich Schweighofer
Arbeitsgruppe Rechtsinformatik / Group Legal Informatics
Institut für Europarecht, Internationales Recht und Rechtsvergleichung / Department of European, International and Comparative Law
Universität Wien / University of Vienna, Schottenbastei 10-16/2/5, 1010 Wien, AT
Tel. +43 1 4277 35305, Fax +43 1 4277 9353; Erich.Schweighofer at univie.ac.at<mailto:Erich.Schweighofer at univie.ac.at>, https://rechtsinformatik.univie.ac.at
IRIS 21: https://www.univie.ac.at/RI/IRIS21 Bitte um Beiträge
ReMeP 2021: https://www.remep.net/  Bitte um Projekte