[NA-Discuss] Pre-registrations

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Jun 6 17:54:26 UTC 2011

If such "services" are offered by non-parties, there's little ICANN can do
about them -- especially if the agents aren't mis-representing themselves as
ICANN-accredited.

If a registry applicant wants to sue such agents, or if national anti-fraud
enforcement is to get involved, taht's fine but these are outside our scope
of being able to affect.
A "pre-registrant beware" information campaign (similar to what the FTC did)
might be the best that we can ask for that ICANN itself is able to do -- and
even that is IMO a poor appropriation of limited resources when so many
legitimate At-Large needs go unfunded.

I personally see zero interest in this from the end-user (ie,
non-registrant) perspective. Here as in any form of speculation, the onus is
on the speculator to determine the authenticity of where they're putting
their risk. If there's fraud going on, that is a police matter. If there's
no fraud, it's not (and must not be) the role of ICANN to reduce the risk of
domain speculators.

Either way, this is distracting (and IMO unwelcome) mission creep for ICANN
At-Large. Perhaps it could be taken up by the GNSO user house.

- Evan

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
Em: evan at telly dot org
Sk: evanleibovitch