[lac-discuss-es] RES: [lac-discuss-en]=?iso-8859-1?q?RES=Á_Entrevista_con_presidente

Sylvia-Pronto sylvia en prontocl.com.br
Mar Mayo 12 20:45:55 EDT 2009

Sí Carlton, coincido contigo, sabemos que ya hemos conseguido mucho y que el
Staff de Icann siempre está esforzándose por traducir los documentos a
tiempo.
Sin duda que lo que todos hacen es recurrir a la herramienta de Google y/o
los parientes y amigos que saben " el otro" idioma de LACRALO. Y seguirán
haciendo eso, porque de lo contrario, no podrían participar!!
Por suerte también contamos en la lista varias personas que saben los 2
idiomas y siempre están dispuestas a ayudar. La idea siempre es sumar y
hacer con que la región tenga una real participación.
Saludos!

Sylvia Herlein Leite
Internauta Brasil

-----Mensagem original-----
De: lac-discuss-en-bounces en atlarge-lists.icann.org
[mailto:lac-discuss-en-bounces en atlarge-lists.icann.org] Em nome de Carlton
Samuels
Enviada em: terça-feira, 12 de maio de 2009 21:25
Para: Jacqueline A. Morris
Cc: lac-discuss-en en atlarge-lists.icann.org
Assunto: Re: [lac-discuss-en]=?iso-8859-1?q?RES=Á_Entrevista_con_presidente
_ = =?iso-8859-1?q?y_el_CEO_Paul_Twomey_de_ICANN_en_peri=F3dico_del_ch =
=?iso-8859-1?q?ronicle_de_San_Francisco =

I endorse Jacqueline's comments; it is better than nothing to have emails
translated, even if imperfect.

Unfortunately, the everyday working language of the ICANN world is English.
So most conversations of interests, long before official documents are
developed, are in English.  Knowledge of conversation English is then a very
useful thing for deep involvement in the discussions that lead to the
documents.

LACRALO led the fight for translation in ICANN and we have seen success in
having official documents translated in 5 languages, including Spanish.
At-Large staff will tell you that those are still sparingly used.

Until the automated translation systems improve, I'm afraid the best low
budget solution is to use Google Translate like I do. Alternatively, I call
on the translation skills of a member of my staff. Or, my daughter.

Carlton Samuels

2009/5/12 Jacqueline A. Morris <jam en jacquelinemorris.com>

> Hi Sylvia
> I disagree - I find that the translation extremely useful, even if not
> perfect. If the posts were exclusively in English or Spanish, it would
make
> it much more difficult to participate. There are quite a few English
> speaking ALSes, remember, and many of us do not function in Spanish, as
many
> of the Spanish-speaking ALSes do not function in English. And we should
not
> be required to, either.
> The posted documents are much better translated than the email list, and
so
> participation based on those documents should not be a problem based on
> language.
> Jacqueline
> sylvia en prontocl.com.br wrote:
>
>> [[--Translated text (es -> en)--]]
>>

>> Subject: =?iso-8859-1?q?RES=Á_Entrevista_con_presidente _ =
>> =?iso-8859-1?q?y_el_CEO_Paul_Twomey_de_ICANN_en_peri=F3dico_del_ch =
>> =?iso-8859-1?q?ronicle_de_San_Francisco =
>> From: sylvia en prontocl.com.br
>>
>> Without a doubt subject is um in which, in spite of great conquests, we
>> will have to work much more! Realemente one is discouraged when they
appear
>> phrases like those! And the truth is that to receive phrases as that and
not
>> to receive ANYTHING is the same.  The good thing would be if all the ALSs
>> pronounced (in Spanish, since there is it Nick order often) of which
really
>> it is not possible to be thought in those conditions, therefore the Staff
>> would have tools to ask for more budget for translations in real time.
Herlein
>> Leite Brazil Internaut

.icann.org