[lac-discuss-en] [CPWG] REMINDER / Meeting invitation: At-Large Consolidated Policy Working Group (CPWG) Call on Wednesday, 08 July 2020 at 13:00 UTC

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jul 9 16:37:51 UTC 2020

Hi Christopher,

As Tijani said, I think everyone had their eye on what happened with
.amazon when  crafting this approach. However, I agree with your PoV and in
fact believe that the utterly bogus "community" case for the .amazon TLD
actually bolsters your case.

Having said that, I've personally developed a severe case of "TLD ennui".
WHO CARES how it all rolls out (from a public interest PoV) until it comes
time to hunt down abuse.

Past experience has shown that TLDs are an utterly miserable and
inefficient way to bring a community together, especially in light of all
the great alternatives that exist. One could easily make the case that
Reddit alone can serve community-building and public accountability better
than any registry. Since from the start TLDs are pay-to-play affairs they
must -- even the community ones -- contribute to inequity of access to an
extent not shared by other platforms. At-Large's experience with new TLDs,
even supposedly-noble ones, indicate that they are without exception driven
by some combination of vanity and greed.

I'm very disappointed that neither ALAC nor anyone else in the ICANN bubble
-- not the GAC nor the civil society rump of the GNSO -- tried to make even
a feeble public-interest case against a new round.  Back when I was
more-deeply involved in ALAC I tried to muster support for the case against
any more TLD delegations until the consequences of the last round could be
properly (and independently) analyzed. The effort failed miserably, and led
to my pulling away. Everyone treats a new round as a simply inevitable,
whether or not anyone outside the domain cartel really wants it. Whenever I
hear the term "subpro" I have to smile to myself because I read that as an
abbreviation for "less-than-professional", which indeed I believe to be the
case for that group when it comes to consideration of public interest.

The inevitable march to new rounds, whether they are needed or not, offers
a stark reminder of the utter isolation of ICANN's bubble (including ALAC)
from the outside world. The intervention of the California AG on .ORG
should have been a wake up call to this isolation, but it appears to have
blown over. So it's back to business as usual ... until the next time the
AG steps in. Jonathan was right that the AG intervention in .ORG was a
dangerous precedent, but ... dangerous to who?

We now know that there are limits to the world's tolerance of ICANN's
perversion of multi-stakeholderism. How soon until the next time these
limits are tested?

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56