[lac-discuss-en] [CPWG] REMINDER / Meeting invitation: At-Large Consolidated Policy Working Group (CPWG) Call on Wednesday, 08 July 2020 at 13:00 UTC

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 9 21:49:48 UTC 2020

I share some of Evan’s consideration, although in a less radical way.
Back then, my position was that a new round could be useful, but only to allow IDN TLDs to be delegated. My reasoning was that that the only factor that was hindering the presence on the Internet was the technical limitations to allow different scripts.
Time has proven that I was partly right, but partly wrong. The new IDN TLDs have failed miserably, although the technical limitations have been removed, simply because the problem was not a technical one. In the meantime, some Geo-TLDs have been successful - and I have already admitted to Dirk and Alexander that I was wrong in my assessment that they were useless.
This said, I am still hesitant in investing time in discussing detailed reserved lists or special conditions - but that might be more related to TLD fatigue rather than being an objective assessment of the cost-benefits of actions that require high resource investment. I remain convinced that the biggest problems that Internet users at large have with the internet are not related to new TLDs, and that dedicating the bulk of our resources to this topic is not a wise investment - but I fully understand that other folks might think differently, and therefore have priorities that differ from mine.
The fact that we are a very diversified crowd is, as a matter of fact, one of the strengths of At-Large, since we have people with different interests and different priorities we can cover a diversified spectrum of topics.
Cheers,
Roberto