[lac-discuss-en] [ALAC] IO recommends .amazon reconsideration

Evan Leibovitch evanleibovitch at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 02:24:35 UTC 2017

Hi Ricardo,

> ​[...] ​
> It might work, with great effort from the civil society, (since there are
> great cultural differences among all our countries), but then, the actual
> political situation of the countries is the worst in the last... (I really
> don't know when all this nine countries have a good relationship since
> Columbus discovery!). Will all of them agree to create a entity (preferable
> a multistakeholder one) to handle this .amazonas?

​I hope that I understand and appreciate this concern, and that it is far
from simple to resolve.

However....

Don't these same issues arise with .amazon too?
If the bookstore shouldn't have .amazon, who should?​

Your comments suggest (and I have no reason to disagree) that any local
effort to allocate .amazon would encounter the same challenge of
collaboration between nine countries (and even more states/regions) with a
claim and often conflicting objectives. If there is likely to be no
agreement over how South Americans would manage .amazon, what is the damage
done by giving it to the bookstore so that at least *someone* can make use
of it?

If the applicant for .amazon was (for example) a Peruvian tour company
instead of a USA bookstore, would the opposition to ICANN allocation still
exist because of all the other countries with claims (or opposition to a
for-profit having it)?

Or is the real intent of the governmental opposition that .amazon simply
remain unused by anyone? Is such path beneficial to the public?

This is not a troll or attempt at insult. I genuinely don't understand.

- Evan

PS: If any of this is being discussed on LAC-Discuss, I can't see that part
of the discussion. So I missed Alejandro's contribution.