[lac-discuss-en] Apoyo al Statement de Cheryl

Andres Piazza andrespiazzagpj at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 15 20:02:45 CDT 2009

ESTIMADOS, NO TENGO NINGUNA DUDA, el statement de CHERYL DEBE SER APOYADO Y CONTINUAR DISCUTIENDO TEMAS DE POLICY.

Copio el contenido aquí, saludos

Andrés Piazza
Presidente de LACRALO

---------------------

http://www.atlarge.icann.org/files/atlarge/alac-travel-policy-for-volunteers-24mar09-en.pdf

ALAC and At-Large Travel Support Requirements
Response of the ALAC to the Public Consultation on a Revised Travel Support Procedure for Volunteers
This document has been translated from English in order to reach a wider audience. While the Internet
Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has made efforts to verify the accuracy of the
translation, English is the working language of ICANN and the English original of this document is the only
official and authoritative text. You may find the English original at:
Page 1 of 3
Introductory Note
By the Staff of ICANN
This statement is the outcome of discussions of the ALAC and the Regional At-Large
Organisations during the At-Large Summit that were then compiled by ALAC Member Alan
Greenberg into a draft text.
That draft was transmitted to the ALAC and the regional leaders for comments on 18th March.
Alan then incorporated comments received, and this draft circulated to the public ALAC mailing
list on 23rd March.
This draft was then introduced for decision at the ALAC meeting of 24th March, where it was
approved by consensus.
The Chair of the ALAC, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, transmitted it to the public consultation forum on
16th April 2009.
[End of Introduction]
Page 2 of 3
ALAC and At-Large Travel Requirements
The Past
Prior to FY09 (July 2008 – June 2009), ICANN supported ALAC/At-Large Travel as follows:
A. 15 ALAC members at ICANN meetings (5 Nominating Committee appointees (NCA) and 10
selected by RALOs or before their existence, by the Board).
B. 2 Liaisons at ICANN meetings.
C. Once RALOs existed, 1-2 RALO leadership positions, typically the Chair and/or the Secretariat.
The average number per meeting stabilized at about 7 per ICANN meeting.
D. Once RALOs began forming, about 15 representatives of ALSs from within the region where the
meeting was held.
E. As RALOs were being formed, and to a lesser extent afterwards, there were regional meetings at
times other than ICANN meetings to which regional ALS representatives were funded.
For FY09, the ALAC waived D and E to be replaced by the At-Large Summit.
In the formal August-08 Travel Procedure for FY09, the “current situation” (that is, preceding FY09)
mentioned only A and ignored all other previously supported travel. Ultimately, items B and C were
reinstated on a meeting-by-meeting basis, ostensibly due to the short notice of the formal withdrawal
of such funding and due to the need to plan for the Summit. In the Procedure, Liaisons were described
as being funded by the receiving organization, but that was later changed to being funded by the
sending organization.
Moreover, at the Paris meeting, the Board passed a resolution saying that starting in FY10 (beginning
in July 2009), the ALAC would receive funding on a level similar to Supporting Organizations under
the Travel Procedure, which was widely interpreted as being the chair and NCAs, plus 50% of the
remaining members.
To go from A+B+C+D+E to roughly 2/3 of A has been described by some as having the having the
budget “slashed”. However, it must be noted that this reduction is inferred from previous staff
statements and Board actions and has never been explicitly stated as official policy.
The Future
ICANN has made and is making a very sizable investment in ALAC and At-Large. The At-Large
Summit in Mexico City, coupled with recent ALAC involvement in a number of GNSO and ICANN
activities and the generally optimistic ALAC independent review process indicate that this investment
is paying off.
By its very nature, ALAC and At-large represents users and not those with vested financial interest in
the business of the Internet. Very few active members of the ALAC community are employed with
ICANN-related issues in their job descriptions, and virtually none are in a position to have employers
partially or completely fund travel to ICANN. In fact, for many, even the ongoing levels of activity are
often undertaken as personal activities without time-off being given by employers.
If ICANN should follow-through on not funding travel for some ALAC members, it is virtually
certain that most or all would not be able to attend ICANN meetings. This would significantly threaten
the ability of ALAC to function, and would likely prompt at least some of the other members
(including NCAs) to resign due to the lack of a critical mass at meetings.
Page 3 of 3
Moreover, it would be a false saving not to fund RALO leadership attendance at ICANN meetings.
These are the key people in the regions who must motivate and act as liaisons to their ALSs. It is
critical that these people be fully involved in the ICANN organization.
Lastly, the At-Large Summit was widely praised as being both successful and indicative of the
promise of At-Large. Although such a massive undertaking is not envisioned again in the immediate
future, it seems wise to maintain some level of activity and contact. To this end, it is suggested that
one General Assembly per RALO (with an average of 15 ALSs each) be funded on a regular basis.
These could be during ICANN meetings when the venue makes this possible for the region where the
meeting is held, or otherwise shorter meetings held in-region.
Logistics
It is very important that ALAC members, at the very least, be housed in the same hotel used by the
majority of other ICANN Supporting Organizations and Committees. The opportunities that this
provides for interaction between ALAC members and the rest of the ICANN community cannot be
overestimated and is felt to be crucial for ensuring that ALAC becomes a truly integrated part of the
ICANN family. Similarly, for those ALAC members who are interested, it is essential that travel
procedures enable them to be present during the entire ICANN meeting (including the Board meeting)
and that for long trips (perhaps over 15-18 hours) they be allowed to arrive sufficiently early so as to
be awake and productive during their first meetings.
The need for making travel arrangements well in advance for both cost and visa reasons, and the need
for developing working per-diem distribution mechanisms have been discussed ad infinitum in
Mexico City, and are being mentioned here solely to reinforce their importance.
We expect that you will be receiving a number of private statements attempting to delineate specific
air travel requirements. The ALAC is very supportive of clear procedures and transparent exception
processes allowing the use of reasonable economy airfares which maximize the volunteer traveler’s
comfort and benefits. We ask for flexibility to ensure that volunteers can make their journeys to and
from ICANN meetings in reasonable comfort and be able to function efficiently while on ICANN
business and to recover quickly on their return home.
ALAC has made previous statements on travel issues which are still applicable – see
https://st.icann.org/alac/index.cgi?al_alac_bud_sc_0308_1_1. Please note comments on travel support
in the At-Large Summit Declaration – see http://www.atlarge.icann.org/files/atlarge/correspondence-
05mar09-en.pdf
Summary
ALAC requests ICANN travel funding at roughly the level that it was prior to FY09. Specifically:
• 15 ALAC members at each ICANN meeting;
• 2 Bylaw-mandated Liaisons;
• 8 RALO leadership positions at each ICANN meeting (recent changes in the European
RALO imply that they will now have 2 leadership positions instead of 1);
• 5 regional General Assemblies per year (1 per region), to be held during an ICANN meeting if
appropriate. Airfares will be lower due the regional nature, and non-ICANN meetings will be
much shorter.
• Flexibility in providing economy class airfares which maximize the volunteer traveler’s
comfort and benefits.