[lac-discuss-en] = to?iso-8859-1?q?Participaci=F3n_de_LACRALO_=28car = =?iso-8859-1?q?encia_de=29_-_RESUMEN =

Jacqueline A. Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Mon Nov 3 18:57:20 EST 2008

Basically, the text in original language is in a link below the
translated text.
But in short, my concern is that after 2 years, and quite a few
translated documents, there are still no comments on anythingn coming
out from the LACRALO. Others in ICANN and outside are looking at the
funding spent on translations for LACRALO and asking - what more do we
need to start commenting.
Remember it is a global oprgnaisation - there may be pressures to say -
hey, it might be a better use of the funding to translate more documents
into Chinese, for example, as APRALO is quite active on certain topics
(IDNs and IPv6 are two of their major issues)
After 2 years LACRALO NEEDS to make a start on a policy issue. There
have been comments on processes, but not on policy.
The policy team is providing briefings where questions can be answered
via the Adobe Connect tool, with a Spanish channel. Often the Spanish
channel is empty. The sessions are archived, but I don't know if anyone
in LACRALo is looking at them.
ICANN is about making policy to run the Internet. Things are happening
all the time. There is no need to comment on everything, but on
something would be useful. The language isn't even such an issue as once
the document is translated, then the entire discussion can take place in
Spanish and the comment can be sent in Spanish. There are also English
speaking ALSes who rarely comment either. ALL ALSes need a kick in the
pants to get going!
Remember that the entire ALAC structure is an experiment and there are
MANY who think it won't work, and they are already using the lack of
feedback from some regions as a reason to say - see, it isn't working.
If you want LACRALO to continue and to have the region have a voice in
the process, the LACRALO needs to move forward.
There are also those who are looking at the ALAC and the RALOs and the
ALSes and saying - hey, what have they done? Are they really part of
this organisation or not? They haven't participated at all. Are they
just a long listing of ALSes to pad the ALAC, or are they really giving
us individual user feedback?
If these nay-sayers are backed up by ANY evidence that the ALSes really
aren't participating, the At Large will be in real trouble. (And they
are getting it!)
So I am sending emails to try to get the URGENCY of this situation out
to the LACRALO - others are doing the same for AFRALO. The other RALOs
are doing better!
Rather than attacking me personally, it would be much better for all of
you in LACRALO for you to turn that energy towards getting some stuff
done so that it is easier to defend the At Large structure system
against the many many  groups and individuals that are opposed to it in
its current structure and with its current resources.

Jacqueline