[EURO-Discuss] RE : Re: [community] At-Large Policy Development > At-Large Request For Written Community Feedback - Geographic Regions Working Group Recommendations Workspace

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Fri Jan 3 20:09:20 UTC 2014

Thanks for these further elaborations, Olivier!

Just to get clear about when you say,
"A degree of flexibility (which the ALAC had asked for) for self-determination was added for countries that border two regions."
and
"... some in our community are waiting to be able to implement self-determination ASAP."
This sound promising indeed. But does this mean that our Armenian friends, for example, could make use of this new self-determination and ask to join EURALO -- what all of their ALSes wanted right from the beginning?

Would such a new flexible regulation for particular border cases apply only for future applications or include existing cases as well?

If applicable, there would be some space for improvement and not just a perpetuation of the existing order.

Kind regards,
Wolf

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote Fri, 03 Jan 2014 18:34:
>Thank you for your follow-up Jean-Jacques.
>
>On 03/01/2014 11:16, Subrenat, Jean-Jacques wrote:
>> - My suggestion is that the ALAC
>>    - indicate that in order not to hold up the ongoing WG exercise, the ALAC abstains (thus showing respect for the work accomplished, including by its 2 representatives, but considering the outcome as unsatisfactory),
>
>Please be so kind to detail what is unsatisfactory. The report of the
>Geo Regions WG shows the extent to which many different solutions were
>considered and shows that no better solution was found. A degree of
>flexibility (which the ALAC had asked for) for self-determination was
>added for countries that border two regions.
>
>>    - call for a more fundamental review, with a one-year or 2-year timeline. Such a review should be determined more explicitly by the realities of today and the probabilities of tomorrow. The initial contribution of the ALAC could be a list of the points that, in the current system, constitute a serious discrepancy between the inherited (UN) model and the challenges for ICANN and for the Internet in this early 21st century.
>
>Wasn't the Geo Regions WG this more fundamental review? Are you asking
>to restart the work at the beginning? I find it highly improbable that
>throwing two more years at this subject will yield any other result.
>
>That said, if we do not find consensus, I can indeed let the WG know of
>the ALAC's abstention in the matter. But some in our community are
>waiting to be able to implement self-determination ASAP.
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Olivier

EuroDIG Secretariat
http://www.eurodig.org/