[EURO-Discuss] RE : Re: [community] At-Large Policy Development > At-Large Request For Written Community Feedback - Geographic Regions Working Group Recommendations Workspace

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Fri Jan 3 17:34:49 UTC 2014

Thank you for your follow-up Jean-Jacques.

On 03/01/2014 11:16, Subrenat, Jean-Jacques wrote:
> - My suggestion is that the ALAC
>    - indicate that in order not to hold up the ongoing WG exercise, the ALAC abstains (thus showing respect for the work accomplished, including by its 2 representatives, but considering the outcome as unsatisfactory),

Please be so kind to detail what is unsatisfactory. The report of the
Geo Regions WG shows the extent to which many different solutions were
considered and shows that no better solution was found. A degree of
flexibility (which the ALAC had asked for) for self-determination was
added for countries that border two regions.

>    - call for a more fundamental review, with a one-year or 2-year timeline. Such a review should be determined more explicitly by the realities of today and the probabilities of tomorrow. The initial contribution of the ALAC could be a list of the points that, in the current system, constitute a serious discrepancy between the inherited (UN) model and the challenges for ICANN and for the Internet in this early 21st century.

Wasn't the Geo Regions WG this more fundamental review? Are you asking
to restart the work at the beginning? I find it highly improbable that
throwing two more years at this subject will yield any other result.

That said, if we do not find consensus, I can indeed let the WG know of
the ALAC's abstention in the matter. But some in our community are
waiting to be able to implement self-determination ASAP.

Kind regards,

Olivier