[EURO-Discuss] RE : Re: [community] At-Large Policy Development > At-Large Request For Written Community Feedback - Geographic Regions Working Group Recommendations Workspace

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sat Jan 4 13:16:32 UTC 2014

Dear Wolf,

thanks for your follow-up.

On 03/01/2014 21:09, Wolf Ludwig wrote:
> Thanks for these further elaborations, Olivier!
>
> Just to get clear about when you say,
> "A degree of flexibility (which the ALAC had asked for) for self-determination was added for countries that border two regions."
> and
> "... some in our community are waiting to be able to implement self-determination ASAP."
> This sound promising indeed. But does this mean that our Armenian friends, for example, could make use of this new self-determination and ask to join EURALO -- what all of their ALSes wanted right from the beginning?
I refer you to the executive summary point 8:

"The Working Group recommends that the Board should direct Staff to
prepare and maintain ICANN's own unique organizational table
that clearly shows the allocation of countries and territories (as
defined by ISO 3166) to its existing five Geographic Regions. The
initial allocation should reflect the status quo of the current
assignments. However, Staff should also develop and implement a process
to permit stakeholder communities in countries or territories to pursue,
if they wish, re-assignment to a geographic region that they consider to
be more appropriate for
their jurisdiction."

This is exactly what the ALAC asked in a prior Statement.

Paragraph 60: (recommendation G) is pretty clear about this:
"In order to protect the sovereignty and right of self-determination of
states, the
Working Group recommends that every country and territory should have the
opportunity to request a move to another geographic region. The request
should
be initiated or supported by the local government of the relevant
country or territory
and should take into account the views of the local internet community."

Paragraph 63 reinforces this.

> Would such a new flexible regulation for particular border cases apply only for future applications or include existing cases as well?

Existing cases too.

> If applicable, there would be some space for improvement and not just a perpetuation of the existing order.

This is the main point that the Geo Regions WG is making. Full set of
recommendations is in paragraph 40 and each recommendation is detailed
in the pages following that paragraph.

Kind regards,

Olivier