[EURO-Discuss] Draft agenda and planning for EURALOC-s 1st General Assembly in Paris

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Tue Apr 29 11:36:57 EDT 2008

Hi Roberto,

Roberto Gaetano wrote Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:27:
>My recommendation would be that the Board triggers and coordinates
>discussion in the EURALO membership (the ALSes) for issues related to
>internet policy.

I entirely agree with you, Roberto, in principle.

>I personally think that a f2f meeting of the Board is obviously very >useful but not absolutely necessary >to start working.

I don’t want to bore anybody with certain repetitions but this Board was/is a new group with a majority of people not even knowing each other and far more heterogeneous than other comparable groups (old hands and newbies, backgrounds, cultures etc.) Therefore you cannot just prescribe or impose a dynamic and working method which is not considered as „enabling, encouraging and useful“ by the majority of this group. What sounds quite pragmatic turned out to be wishful thinking.

>(...) There are proposals on the table for the improvement of the GNSO. One of these proposals even has >the signature of ALAC, although from what I read on the mailing list there is not a real consensus on it. >The questions raised by the changes in the GNSO structure are something that directly affects the ALAC >membership, and therefore the EURALO. NARALO has decided to produce some contribution to the >debate: would it be a good idea to discuss with the European membership what are the opinions on this >subject?

I can agree again but it’s difficult to expect a second step (concentration on content) before the first one, as long as a group (board) has not yet found ITS own work dynamic. It doesn’t help to ignore this essential context and to always call it “excuses” as some old-hands do. Be assured, Roberto, this is not encouraging for newcomers – and the famous Internet Users we want to get involved – at all.

>Another point where EURALO could have a leading role is in relation to
>privacy concerns, applied to internet policy. Considering that the EU
>legislation has a very strong position wrt privacy, it could be good
>if EURALO could come up with a statement backing up this view, that
>could be used in discussions like the WhoIs, Regisrar escrow, and so on.

I agree again, as a European I consider privacy concerns as among the most relevant. But let me be frank: if I could find a sponsor to invest more of my time and capacities into this work – without being obliged to earn some money in between with my professional activities – I would just do it. For the time being, it takes already a considerable portion of my „free time“ to follow some organisational necessities. It’s the contrast again between the wishful and the necessary or nice-to-have and musts ;-).

>In summary, I would see a great value in EURALO discussing policy
>matters, and although a f2f meeting could help, maybe the best thing
 >is to start now, in order to get the maximum benefit when people will
>meet in person in Paris. But it would be a big mistake to wait another
>two months for the f2f meeting in order to start discussing >substantive issues.

I don’t consider this as a recommendation directed personally to me only but to all of us and would appreciate the same.

>Just my 2 Euro-cents ;>)

They are always welcome, Roberto ;-).

Regards,
Wolf