[EURO-Discuss] Regional advice on France at Large application needed

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Mon Apr 28 07:50:52 EDT 2008

Hi Vittorio,

Vittorio Bertola wrote Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:31:
>I'm not sure I understand. According to the English application that was
>posted to the EURALO list almost two months ago, in 2 d-e they say the
>exact opposite of what you report, they say that decisions are taken by
>their members. And in 2 e-f they say that they have no organizational
>members and no governmental members, which is a good thing. That's why
>we are asking those questions - to be sure that they are not controlled
>by companies or governments.

To my knowledge there are two versions of the application DD form:
1- the one dated March 10, 08 and sent the very day by Matthias and
2- the one dated March 27, 08 and sent on 4.04.08 by Matthias
and I am referring to the indications in the later one.

>(...) Can you explain me how and by whom this
>application was discussed, to come to the recommendation above?

The application was verified and discussed by several board and ALAC members (Jeanette, Annette, Veronica and myself) besides the staff repeatedly

>I remember the application being posted to the EURALO list, but I don't
>remember any comment there. Was there any request to all Board members
>or to the EURALO list for comments? If not, why not?

As we found several inconsistencies in the application (compared with other applicants), we agreed with the staff to try to get more and detailed information before discussing it "in public". There have been additional contacts by the staff with Jefsey Morfin which unfortunately couldn’t bring the clarifications we asked for.

> (...) but I have known Jefsey Morfin - the France at Large leader - for >years, and even if he often has very controversial opinions, he exists and >he has been participating to the At Large since the year 2000, which is >more than can be said of several accredited ALSes. There should be a clear >reason to reject this application, not just "we're not sure"

I stated several reasons in my previous mail which are shared by all those 7 people (mentioned above) who checked the DD form, Website etc. repeatedly.

>or "we don't like him".

Nobody ever said that "we don't like him". I know Jefsey Morfin just from the list so far, others know him much longer as you do. And our opinion on France at Large’s application has nothing to do with personal prejudices.

>Nothing has happened for two months, so why all this hurry now?

If you haven’t realised anything for two months this does not necessarily mean that “nothing has happened” – I find your conclusions rather offensive BTW – and it perfectly fits to Juergen Habermas’ remarks about the “context of interest and perception”!

Regards,
Wolf

comunica-ch
phone +41 79 204 83 87