[EURO-Discuss] Draft agenda and planning for EURALO©–s 1st General Assembly in Paris

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Apr 25 10:20:53 EDT 2008

At 3:54 PM +0100 4/24/08, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:
>Nick Ashton-Hart wrote:
>>Dear Jeanette:
>>
>>Thank you very much for your note.
>>
>>I understand this provision to mean that, as it
>>says, ALAC members elected by the region should
>>not have to go out of pocket to live up to
>>their responsibilities. There are no statutory
>>representatives to other ICANN bodies as you
>>know.
>
>...and in your understanding the attending of
>face to face EURALO meetings is not among the
>responsibilities of EURALO board meetings?

Nick, this is a very ungenerous reading of the
paragraph and of the section describing ICANN's
responsibilities under the MoU.

The board is of course essential to the EURALO's
activities, it's the representative of the RALO
members and responsible for all matters of the
RALO. It makes little sense to invite members of
the ALS and then not the board. Obviously any
meetings the ALS hold will be less effective
without the board present. The presence of the
EURALO in its region's ICANN meeting will be
weakened.

As a community EURALO clearly needs time together
and at the moment you are denying them the
opportunity. All for the cost of a few inter-city
train tickets and a few days expenses. It would
only take a little imagination to make the
resources available, *or at least to try*.  I
think it's the view that you don't seem to be
trying that is most worrying.

Vittorio's comments about other RALOs are not
relevant. The board isn't a handful of
individuals, they are people elected by the
members, volunteers offering their time and
effort to the At Large.

Best,

Adam