[EURO-Discuss] ALAC Candidates

Annette Muehlberg annette.muehlberg at web.de
Mon Apr 30 17:14:08 EDT 2007

Dear Patrick, dear all,

FYI: In January, there was a public announcement:

"ICANN At-Large Advisory Committee Announces Vacancy
Volunteer Needed From Europe for the interim period of time until
European Regional At-Large Organisation is set up
**Individuals from these regions interested in serving on the ALAC are
encouraged to contact the Committee by 16th January 2007.**
ICANN's Board will appoint an individual from Europe to fill this
vacancy, after receiving recommendation from the ALAC.
..."

Statements of interest were sent to the ALAC and of course the ALAC
discussed incoming statements...(and finally decided to postpone and
delegate to the EURALO).

What I pointed out, is that at that time we were not aware of a request
for ALS membership of candidates and it was neither mentioned as a
request in the public announcement itself.

All I am saying: We were not aware of that fact and I must have
overlooked that line in the MOU. And I did so because I did not expect
it there. And I did not expect it, because I consider it to be
unnecessary. I think that the rule we have chosen for EURALO board
members is absolutely sufficent.

And obviously the representative from the accredited ALS "Medienstadt
Leipzig" who nominated the lady from Moldova shared this unawareness ;-)

But we do not have to talk about this anymore concerning the current
procedure, because the respective candidate already became a member of
an european ALS.

At some point though, we should discuss a change of the bylaws and MOU
in this respect to avoid unnecessary bureaucracy in the future.
The type of discussion we are undergoing now is exactly what frightens
most individuals and volunteer organisations who are a member or willing
to join the EURALO. They certainly prefer to discuss ICANN policies - I
am one of them.

Best
Annette