[EURO-Discuss] ALAC Candidates

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Mon Apr 30 11:28:30 EDT 2007

Annette Muehlberg wrote:
> Veronica applied already in January and the ALAC, who discussed
> proposing Veronica as one of the candidates
AFAIK, two candidates stood up in January: Dessi and myself.  If the
ALAC proposed anyone else in a totally non-transparent manner, it
clearly means that the ALAC does not care about what the ALSes suggest.
This is exactly the sort of attitude we expect the new ALAC
representatives to fight against.
> Instead of creating bureaucracy we should be practical:
The only way to be practical is to respect the letter of the documents
we have signed. When I sign a document, I commit to respect it, whether
it suits me or not. And if I had a fundamental disagreement, I'd resign.

Further, this is not only an agreement between ourselves ALSes. It is
also an agreement with another party, who could reasonably feel damaged
by us "interpreting creatively" or breaking, as you want, the agreement
we signed.
> it is the same situation as with the EURALO board
It is different. We explicitly agreed there could be non ALS members on
the board.
> As far as I know, the NomCom is not restricted to select a person who
> is a member of an ALS, the EURALO should not be so either.
The Nomcom obeys to other rules. One of the things we should ask in the
nomcom review is to give to the RALOs the possibility to elect  all 15
members of the  ALAC. But this is another story.

Patrick