[At-Large] UA Days

Anivar Aravind anivar at indicproject.org
Sun Mar 31 04:26:56 UTC 2024

I was following UASG from its initial days

I am wholeheartedly agree with the feeling that Users/ At-Large should be a
key point in it's focus

And while mentioning it I like to point 2 trends I observed

On initial focus , developer adoption to programming languages and
platforms was a focus with a clear plan around open source systems
compatibility with UA .

But somehow over a period leadership focus shifted to building a CXO agenda
around UA

I think essentially this gap still exists , adoption in programming
languages and platforms is still minimal , and the ongoing AI rush is
making it difficult to At-Large adoption , since AI tokenization is going
to be costly in complex script low resource world languages  in East Asia,
South Asia , Central Asia , Africa and Uralic languages in Europe

And while we mention users, the maker vs consumer divide exists

So far user/at-large focus on UA day was more on consumer side while
Developer/maker adoption is lagging . this is because the community came up
on UA was mostly user adoption focused .

I think there is a need of a fresh look and prioritization  if we need to
fast-track UA.

In addition more tech side issues exists like IDNA2008 adoption (which will
change a lot if existing technical specs around LGRs due to shaping
characters coming as identifiers ) , but there is a lack of attention or
expertise I can see in this domain

I know this mail will be little off-topic, but developer adoption(Maker
side of Users At-Large)  bigger lagging ground for UASG these days

Anivar