[At-Large] UA Days

Alfredo Calderon calderon.alfredo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 12:40:05 UTC 2024

Karl,

You bring important points to the discussion.

Our daily internet use hides a bustling world of devices talking to each
other, from smart thermostats to fitness trackers. This device-to-device
communication (D2D) is essential, but challenges arise. Devices might not
be fully tested for real-world internet quirks, and slight variations in
how they speak the same language can cause problems. Efforts to make
devices accept all information can be risky for critical systems like cars
or medical equipment. Just like ensuring smooth conversations between
people, we need to make sure these silent exchanges run safely to keep our
devices working as expected.

Your statement argues against forcing embedded device controllers to run
Universal Acceptance (UA) code for several reasons:

   -

   *Security Risks:* Embedded devices often control critical functions and
   are rarely tested for complex code like UA. Running UA code on them
   significantly increases the risk of vulnerabilities that could be exploited
   by attackers.
   -

   *Unnecessary Burden:* Most embedded devices have limited functionality
   and don't need to understand a wide range of information. UA forces them to
   handle potentially risky data they're not designed for.
   -

   *Fragile Infrastructure:* The internet is already vulnerable, and adding
   complexities like untested UA code on embedded devices only makes it more
   fragile and prone to widespread disruptions.

If it is dangerous to make these essential, often unseen devices handle
complex tasks they're not built for, this could create new security holes
and make the entire internet infrastructure even more vulnerable,
especially when these devices have an international/global purpose.

My 2cents!
[image: photo]
[image: photo]

Alfredo Calderon
eLearning Consultant

aprendizajedistancia.blogspot.com

calderon.alfredo at gmail.com  |  wiseintro.co/alfredocalderon  |  Alfredo_1212
  |  Virtual School on Internet Governance  |  https://virtualsig.org

[image: facebook] <https://facebook.com/calderon.alfredo>

[image: linkedin] <https://pr.linkedin.com/in/acalderon52>

[image: twitter] <https://twitter.com/acalderon52>

[image: pinterest] <http://www.pinterest.com/acalderon/>

[image: slideshare] <http://www.slideshare.net/acalderon>

[image: twitter] <https://twitter.com/virtualschoolIG>

[image: wiseintro] <https://wiseintro.co/alfredocalderon>

IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential.
They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you have received
this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and do not
disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.
Create your WiseStamp email signature
<https://www.wisestamp.com/lp/promo/professional-email-signature?utm_source=promotion&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=create_your_own&srcid=>

[image: __tpx__]