[At-Large] DomainIncite : Is this why WhatsApp hates some TLDs but not others?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Sep 14 19:53:51 UTC 2023

On 9/14/23 7:58 AM, Evan Leibovitch via At-Large wrote:
> This credibility challenge can only be addressed by a radical rethink
> of ALAC, and changes that go far beyond those of the third-party
> reviews held to date. These changes keep in mind that the general
> public attitudes towards ICANN are close to those regarding other
> kinds of public infrastructure. In other words, most people just don't
> care until something breaks.
>
> (Funny how other forms of public infrastructure such as sewage,
> electricity generation, air-travel coordination and roads don't see
> any calls to be improved through multi-stakeholder governance.)
I'll try to refrain from a pre-ICANN formation, 25+ year old "I told us
so".  ;-)

But perhaps I'll allude to a 14 year old one:

See page 32-37 of the "Review of the At‐Large Advisory Committee - Final
Report
of the ALAC Review Working Group on ALAC Improvements"

(I'll link to a copy on my website - I'm having trouble finding this
rather expensive report on ICANN's own website. Perhaps my web search
skills are taking the day off.)

https://www.cavebear.com/docs/final-report-alac-review-28jan09-en.pdf

And never bypassing a chance at self promotion, here's my general
feeling about "stakeholder" models (summary: it's not a positive feeling.)

Democracy Versus Stakeholderism

https://www.cavebear.com/cavebear-blog/stakeholder_sock_puppet/

         --karl--