[ALAC] Summary Report for GNSO Council 20 Jul 2023 meeting

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 05:54:36 UTC 2023

Dear all,

Here is my summary report of the GNSO Council's 20 Jul 2023 meeting, albeit
a pretty long summary. You can also read this report posted at the ALAC
Liaison to the GNSO workspace, or using the links included below.

*Special Summary Report of 20 Jul 2023 Meeting to ALAC
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Jul2023-SumRep_Jul2023>*

For brevity, I will just highlight a few things here. For some of the
issues, you can glean a wider perspective from GNSO Council Jul 2023
Matters of Interest
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Jul2023-MOI_Jul2023>
and/or
from GNSO Council Jul 2023 Meeting Records
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Jul2023-Meet_Jul2023>
.

*1. Next Round of New gTLDs / Subsequent Procedures 38 Pending
Recommendations & "Other Dependencies"*

   - To recap, the *ICANN Board 16 March 2023 Resolutio
   <https://www.icann.org/en/board-activities-and-meetings/materials/approved-resolutions-regular-meeting-of-the-icann-board-16-03-2023-en#section2.a>n*
had
   requested the GNSO Council to submit 3 of 4 deliverables.
   - For convenience, the 3 of 4 deliverables are replicated as follows:
      - a. A plan and timeline as agreed upon by the ICANN Board and the
      GNSO Council for consideration and resolution of all Outputs
contained in Section
      B of the Scorecard
      <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/scorecard-subpro-pdp-board-action-16mar23-en.pdf>
(the
      38 Pending Recommendations);
      - b. A working methodology and Implementation Review Team (IRT) work
      plan and timeline as agreed upon by ICANN org and the GNSO Council;c.
      - c. A GNSO Council project plan and timeline for policy work, or an
      alternate path, on how to handle closed generics for the next
round of new
      gTLDs; and
      - d. A project plan from the GNSO Internationalized Domain Names
      (IDNs) Expedited Policy Development Process (EPDP) Working Group (WG)
      identifying all charter questions that will impact the next Applicant
      Guidebook, along with considerations to ensure a consistent
solution on IDN
      Variant TLDs with the ccPDP4 on IDN ccTLDs (in accordance with
prior Board Resolution
      2019.03.14.09
      <https://www.icann.org/en/board-activities-and-meetings/materials/approved-resolutions-regular-meeting-of-the-icann-board-14-03-2019-en#2.a>),
      and a timeline by when the IDNs EPDP WG will deliver relevant
      recommendations to the GNSO Council.
   - Immediately after ICANN77, Council submitted to the Board on 15 Jun
   2023 the SubPro ICANN77 Deliverables: Workplan and Timeline
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/correspondence/sebastien-ducos-to-tripti-sinha-15jun23-en.pdf>
which
   addresses the 3 requested deliverables.

*a. The 38 Pending Recommendations*

   - Since after ICANN77, the GNSO Council Small Team on SubPro has
   continued to work with the Board SubPro Caucus co-leads, Avri Doria and
   Becky Burr, in developing the Council's 2 next sub-deliverables in respect
   of the 38 Pending Recommendations. This involves bifurcating the 38
   recommendations into 2 broad groups:

   -
      - *Group (1)* covers Recommendations on the following SubPro Topics
      which were assessed and are understood to merely require clarifying
      statements by Council for the Board's consideration in context of the
      Board's concerns, in order to facilitate their adoption by the Board.
      ***
         - Topic 3: Applications Assessed in Rounds - Recommendations
         3.1,3.2, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7
         - Topic 6: Registry Service Provider Pre-Evaluation -
         Recommendation 6.8
         - Topic 9: Registry Voluntary Commitments / Public Interest
         Commitments - Recommendations 9.1, 9.4, 9.8, 9.9, 9.10, 9.12,
9.13, 9.15
         - Topic 26: Security and Stability - Recommendation 26.9
         - Topic 29: Name Collision - Recommendation 29.1
         - Topic 30: GAC Consensus Advice and GAC Early Warning -
         Recommendation 30.7
         - Topic 31: Objections - Recommendations 31.16, 31.17
         - Topic 34: Community Applications - Recommendation 34.12
         - Topic 35: Auctions - Recommendations 35.3, 35.5
      - The complete Clarifying Statement produced for Group (1)
      recommendations can be viewed via this link
      <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/draft/draft-sub-pro-pending-recommendations-10jul23-en.pdf>
      .

*Action by ALAC Liaison*

   -
      -
         - To participate in Small Team to ensure clarifying statement
         captures existing ALAC positions, as relevant/needed.

   -
      - *Group (2)* covers the remaining pending recommendations for which
      the Council Small Team will continue to work on in light of the clear
      signal by the Board SubPro Caucus co-leads that the Board will very
      likely decline to adopt as they currently read. The Small Team's scope of
      work here includes considering whether such recommendations should be
      revised, and if so, how - either through the 'GNSO Operating Procedures
      section 16' path (which would involve reconvening the SubPro PDP WG), or
      through a 'Supplemental Recommendation' path for which Council
will need to
      determine the mechanism to produce such supplemental recommendation.

*Action by ALAC Liaison*

   -
      -
         - To continue to participate in Small Team to ensure clarifying
         statement captures existing ALAC positions, as relevant/needed, or to
         advocate for the inclusion of input outside of GNSO where
Council opts for
         the 'Supplemental Recommendation' path.

   -
      - ***To note that I have previously reported, that the list of
      recommendations in group (1) versus group (2) continues to evolve over
      time; compare with as at ICANN77
      <https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#GNSOLiaisonReport,postOct2021-A-23-06-38>

*c. Draft Closed Generics Framework*

   -
      - Council received a cursory update on where the Draft Closed
      Generics Framework stands and informed that the GAC-GNSO-ALAC Dialogue
      small team will reconvene to review the community comments received in
      response to the request for comments on the Draft Closed Generics
      Framework <https://community.icann.org/x/Io6ZDg> which closed on 15
      Jul 2023.

*d.  Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) Expedited Policy Development
Process (EPDP)*

   -
      - As reported in Jun 2023, the IDNs EPDP WG was already taking steps
      to improve its timeline to expedite completion of its work well ahead of
      its original Nov 2025 target.
      - The WG Chair presented a revised project plan
      <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/presentation/epdp-idns-p2-project-plan-timeline-20jul23-en.pdf>
which
      shaves 13 months off the earlier timeline. The key milestones
for this EPDP
      are now as follows:
         - Phase 1 Final Report remains expected to be delivered to Council
         in Nov 2023
         - Council then considers this Phase 1 Final Report and decides on
         the adoption of report and recommendations
         - Phase 2 Initial Report is expected to be published for public
         comment in *Apr 2024* (vs May 2025 earlier)
         - Phase 2 Final Report is expected to be delivered to Council in *Oct
         2024* (vs Nov 2025 earlier)
         - Council then considers this Phase 2 Final Report and decides on
         the adoption of report and recommendations
      - Assumptions for this revised project plan must hold for the EPDP to
      meet the new milestone dates:
         - Progress to be achieved via multiple sessions during ICANN78
         (similar to ICANN77)
         - A planned F2F workshop scheduled for early Dec 2023
         - No change to the EPDP Charter / scope of quarter questions

*2. Data Accuracy in the context of NIS2 & Registration Data Accuracy
Scoping Team*

      *Accuracy*

   - Council continued to discuss what should or could be done in light of
   the European Union's Second Network and Information Systems Directive
   (“NIS2”) entered into force on 16 January 2023, particularly regarding
   Article 28, subsection 3 referencing the need for Member States to require
   that "(accuracy) policies and procedures should take into account to the
   extent possible the standards developed by the multi-stakeholder governance
   structures at the international level."
   - There was no clear agreement on matters of protocol - ie. whether it
   would be more appropriate for ICANN org or ICANN Board to address the EU or
   for GNSO Council to address the GAC, and the EC representative
   specifically, to inform of the work already or being undertaken by ICANN in
   this area. This was to be referred to Council's communication small team
   for consideration.

     *Data Accuracy Scoping Team*

   - Council continues to await an update on the status of
   negotiations Data Processing Agreement (DPA) negotiations between ICANN org
   and Contracted Parties and resolved
   <https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Motions+2023-07-20>
   extend deferral of consideration of recommendations #1 and #2 of the
   Registration Data Accuracy Scoping Team write up
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2022/correspondence/palage-et-al-to-gnso-council-rda-assignments-et-al-05sep22-en..pdf>
for
   another six months or at an earlier date if the DPA negotiations have been
   completed before six months have passed and/or there is feedback from ICANN
   org if/how it anticipates the requesting and processing of registration
   data will be undertaken in the context of measuring accuracy.

*3. Operational Design Phase (ODP) and Operational Design Assessment (ODA)*

   - Council was given a presentation
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/presentation/odp-liaison-oda-small-team-survey-feedback-20jul23-en.pdf>
on
   the results of a survey conducted with the 2 GNSO liaisons to 2 completed
   ODP (SSAD and SubPro) as well as members of the 2 small teams (SSAD and
   SubPro) and was informed that ICANN org will be conducting an upcoming
   community consultation to obtain feedback on the ODP process.
   - To note that ICANN org intends to incorporate (possibly formalize) the
   ODP process into the CPIF - Consensus Policy Implementation Framework
   <https://www.icann.org/policy/implementation>.

*Action by ALAC Liaison*

   -
      - To alert the ALAC/At-Large on details of ICANN org's upcoming
      community consultation when they become available

Thanks for reading / considering.

Justine Chew
ALAC Liaison to the GNSO
GNSO Liaison Report Workspace