[ALAC] Motion to amend the ALAC Rules of Procedure

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Oct 2 16:41:49 UTC 2018

As I am about to relinquish the honor of being the Chair of the ALAC,
I would like to leave things in reasonable order. There are a number
of overdue changes needed to the Rules of Procedure (RoP) and
associated documents.

To summarize, our overall rule set includes:

Rules of Procedure: We have a backlog of correction, clarifications
and changes to address issues that have arisen or to bring the RoP in
line with current practices.

Adjunct Document 01: "Position Description for ALAC Members, Liaisons
and Appointees" I expect to be considered by the ARIWG in relation to
Issue 16 (Metrics)

Adjunct Document 02: "Metrics and Remedial Actions for ALAC Members
and Appointees" was never written but to the extent it is needed, it
should also be considered in relation to Issue 16.

Adjunct Document 03: "At-Large Board Member Selection Implementation"
should not need any immediate attention. The Selection process was
referenced in the Review (Issue 6) but our proposal that was accepted
by the Board disagreed with the Review Team and said that we will not
address it in the Review Implementation. We may of course re-open
that discussion at any point in the future if changes is needed.

Adjunct Document 04: "At-Large Structure Framework" will no doubt be
reviewed and likely changed as part of addressing Review Issue 2 (ALS
and Individual Membership).

ALAC E-mail Guide: There are a number of corrections and changes
needed to being the document in line with current ALAC practice (and
reduce routine work).

Accordingly I am proposing a set of changes to the ALAC Rules of
Procedure and the ALAC E-mail Guide. The RoP call for at least 21
calendar days notice and and this message will allow us to vote on
the amendments at the Wrap-Up Session in Barcelona. There will also
be time allocated for discussion in Barcelona, but hopefully any need
for change can be brought up and resolved via e-mail prior to travel.

I will do a very brief overview of the changes on the ALAC call later
today, and we can have a dedicated call if people wish.

Attached is the redline revision of the RoP as well as a Change Log
explaining each of the changes.

Also attached is the redline E-mail Guide. All of the changes are
either clear corrections or changes to reflect current practice (such
as including the any ALT Advisor in the ALT or ALAC lists, and
including key working group chairs in the ALAC list).