[ALAC] Request for a snapshot view on next round new gTLD program outlook from the ALAC for the ICANN Board

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Jun 13 22:09:45 UTC 2016

On 13 June 2016 at 22:44, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:

> There are those in At-Large who would ask whether re really need any more
> TLDs. But I see that as (perhaps sadly) inevitable...

​WHY?

If there is a consensus within At-Large that no new rounds are are
justified, it is reasonable for ALAC advice to the Board to say:

"ALAC cannot endorse or condone any future gTLD delegations until ICANN
Board and staff have made a sufficiently demonstrated (to OUR satisfaction)
that

a) Demand for new gTLDs exists beyond ICANN's contracted parties (and their
​service providers), addressing a verified (ie, by a third party) market
demand

b) Expansion in the gTLD namespace serves an identifiable public interest,
enhancing stability and trust in the DNS

c) Full documentation of "lessons learned from the last round" is created
and -- if a new round is demonstrated through (a) and (b) above -- provides
substantial input to revised rules going forward"

​The steamroller may indeed be inevitable; heaven knows our advice has been
ignored before. But if the internal (and non conflicted) consensus is
clear, ALAC is derelict if it does not clearly articulate advice to the
Board that such activity is happening against (At-Large's perception of)
the pubic interest.​