[ALAC] Almost final Multi-Year GA/Summit Proposal

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sat Apr 30 23:21:45 UTC 2016

Hello all,

it is very hard indeed to balance between having a complete proposal and
having a compact enough proposal that it will be read.
As I have said on many occasions, the proposals hinges on 3 main
pillars: the importance of face to face meetings for the At-Large
Community, the advantages of being able to predict significant costs in
a multi-year planning and the rotation of general assemblies & summits
striking a good balance.

This is not an ALAC Statement, where if it is too long, members of the
Board will just ignore it. This is a proposal which requires the full
attention of the Board, and whilst some Board members will immediately
buy in on it, others might take a lot more convincing. An exhaustive
proposal with many convincing arguments (and not just a short summary)
is, in my opinion, what's needed to shift the scales in the borderline
cases. When it comes to stronger opponents to the concept the proposal
contains, this will require a conversation with the sceptics.

BTW - I agree we are competing with the Bylaws for quantity, but pretty
much everything in ICANN is competing with the Bylaws for quantity at
the moment. I would be very disappointed if the Board was not able to
handle more than one major thread at any one time. The ALAC manages many
more, so I am sure the Board can cope too.
Kindest regards,

Olivier

On 30/04/2016 21:00, Alan Greenberg wrote:
> You were heard before, but I was really at a loss to know how to
> reduce the size that much and still make the arguments that I (and
> others) believe are needed to counter the negative perceptions that
> could lead to rejection. And give that the document must be submitted
> within a few hours, there is really no way for someone else to take
> over the task and get ALAC buy-in on the result.
>
> Alan
>
> At 30/04/2016 05:02 AM, Maureen Hilyard wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I've said it before but not with such specificity. My recommendations:
>>
>> 1. Incorporate the key ideas in the "Proposal" section into the
>> Executive Summary
>>
>> 2. Merge the "Background" and the "importance of Face to Face"
>> meetings into a couple of paragraphs
>>
>> 3. Shorten the bullet pointed items in the "MultiYear Planning
>> section" to key ideas only, present them after a short introduction
>>
>> 4. End with the conclusion and next steps, as is :)
>>
>> 3 pages MAX. (plus your graphic and annexes).  At the moment we are
>> competing with the bylaws for quantity.
>>
>> Maureen
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Alan Greenberg
>> <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca <mailto:alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> > wrote:
>>
>>     Attached please fine the final proposal, subject to final
>>     clean-up editing (and inclusion of the missing URL on the last page).
>>
>>     Please forward any critical errors to me and Heidi.
>>
>>     Note that this paper must be submitted to the Budget Public
>>     Comment prior to 23:59 UTC on Saturday, 30 April.
>>
>>     Alan

>>     At-Large Online: http://www.atlarge.icann.org
>>     ALAC Working Wiki:
>>     https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Advisory+Committee+(ALAC)