[ALAC] RoP Adjunct Document 04 - At-Large Structure Framework

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue May 14 04:28:08 UTC 2013

At 14/05/2013 12:07 AM, Rinalia Abdul Rahim wrote:
>Dear Alan,
>
>Excellent, as usual.

Thanks Rinalia.

>A suggestion and questions:
>
>1. I would suggest that you separate the "de-certification" process
>under its own header.  I believe this will make it more apparent
>that we have a process in place for this scenario.

I will check if such a change will trigger a need to go past the Board again.

>2. Is the de-certification process sufficient to address the
>voluntary dissolution of ALSes?
>
>I ask this question because there is an emerging case where an ALS
>is voluntarily seeking to dissolve itself and correspondingly
>de-list and de-accredit itself - not for "bad" reasons that imply
>misconduct, but rather because the founder/s or members no longer
>wish to sustain the entity.  Can you indicate whether you think that
>under the current framework this situation can be addressed under
>de-certification?  If yes, I think an addition is needed to deal
>with voluntary cases of ALS dissolution.  At the moment, the
>de-certification intent  seems to be focused on what I believe to be
>a "punitive" reaction to some type of misconduct (just my subjective
>reading of it based on the example provided).

We are actually in the midst of such a case. In my judgement (what
may or may not be worth anything), if someone representing an ALS
asks for decertification, then we can comply with the need to "warn
them" by simply replying that we wil lbe going forward with the
decertification.

I am sure that if we put the time into it, there are other changes
that we feel would be prudent in addition to addressing the case you
mention, but all THIS document is doing is taking out current
Board-approved rules and "inserting" them into the RoP (a situation
that the ICANN Bylaws called for which we never did. Should we want
to change them in the future, we have that option.

But since these are the rules we are currently operating under, I see
no reason to require that they be changed before we can proceed with
the rest of the RoP. At best, since it will include  full-blown
discussion and ultimately Board approval, we are talking many months
if not more.

>3. How do we ensure that the due diligence process really does
>involve triangulation of sources?
>
>There is the real possibility that due diligence draws only from the
>same source/s of information provided by applicants, which weakens
>the basis of decision-making.  I understand the complexity and
>challenges of real word gathering of information, but I wonder if
>there is a way that we can encourage serious efforts at
>triangulation despite the challenges of cost, time, finding credible
>alternate sources of information, etc.

As above. I think that when (and I say when not if) we go through a
process of verifying that all of our ALSs are in fact real and
functioning, we will learn a bunch about how might improve the
original certification process.

Alan