[ALAC] RoP Adjunct Document 04 - At-Large Structure Framework

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Tue May 14 04:07:31 UTC 2013

Dear Alan,

Excellent, as usual. *

A suggestion and questions: *

1. I would suggest that you separate the "de-certification" process under
its own header.  I believe this will make it more apparent that we have a
process in place for this scenario.

2. Is the de-certification process sufficient to address the voluntary
dissolution of ALSes?

I ask this question because there is an emerging case where an ALS is
voluntarily seeking to dissolve itself and correspondingly de-list and
de-accredit itself - not for "bad" reasons that imply misconduct, but
rather because the founder/s or members no longer wish to sustain the
entity.  Can you indicate whether you think that under the current
framework this situation can be addressed under de-certification?  If yes,
I think an addition is needed to deal with voluntary cases of ALS
dissolution.  At the moment, the de-certification intent  seems to be
focused on what I believe to be a "punitive" reaction to some type of
misconduct (just my subjective reading of it based on the example
provided).

3. How do we ensure that the due diligence process really does involve
triangulation of sources?

There is the real possibility that due diligence draws only from the same
source/s of information provided by applicants, which weakens the basis of
decision-making.  I understand the complexity and challenges of real word
gathering of information, but I wonder if there is a way that we can
encourage serious efforts at triangulation despite the challenges of cost,
time, finding credible alternate sources of information, etc.

Best regards,

Rinalia