[ALAC] Fwd: Draft GNSO WHOIS RT Final Report Summary Chart

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Sep 28 15:14:32 UTC 2012

On 28 September 2012 09:39, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:

> We do not want the review team Recs shelved pending the more glorious
> project.

Vigorously agreed.

The high-level review suggested by the SSAC -- which may very well help
design a WHOIS NG or even full replacement -- should not hinder, nor be
used as an excuse to impede, the addressing of immediate short term
deficiencies. Perfect not being the enemy of the good and all that...

My fear is that those against robust and trustworthy WHOIS -- right now,
basically (what I would call) extreme privacy advocated and an industry
resistant to change -- will use the SSAC as a crutch to delay or dilute the
RT recommendations.

While I don't attribute this to the SSAC, it is a common tactic within
ICANN to resist change by ask anew for first-princples re-evaluation of
need. Either that, or definitions.

- Evan