[ALAC] Fwd: Draft GNSO WHOIS RT Final Report Summary Chart

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 23:04:02 UTC 2012

Dear All,

Whilst the SSAC has recommended to the Board to defer all activities until
the Registration Data Policy is created, then it follows that there could
be a considerable delay.  The implications in my mind could mean the
suspension of the "Thick Whois Charter" etc.

However, I am of the view that the Registration Data Policy should be
initiated and there can be things done simultaneously to ensure that things
are expedited. To this end, I would suggest the following:

However, if we take the view that things can be developed simultaneously,
it follows that there are things can be initiated in the interim pending a
Registration Data Policy and this could include things like getting the
GNSO to do the following:-

*Phase 1*

 ·         Finalize GNSO Whois Studies [should have been completed in 2012];

·         Draft paper modeled around the findings Council of European
National TLD Registries as a starting point for policy discussion on the
matter and initiate Public Consultations;

·         Mapping out models to include potential scenarios of
architectural solutions:-

o    Model 1 – Thick Whois

o    Model 2- Thin Whois;

o    Model 3- Mixture of Thick and Thin Whois;

o    Model 4- other.

[Initiating Public Consultations to receive feedback on the models]

Upon receipt of the results of the GNSO Studies, to work out the different
possible Models that are workable. Assuming that within Phase 1, the
Registration Data Policy would be completed.

*Phase 2*

·         Finalize the models based on the Registration Data Policy and
results of the GNSO Whois Studies; [Public Consultations and feedback]

·         Leverage the discussions of the paper on the findings of the
Council of European National TLD Registries as a starting point for policy
discussion on the matter factoring in the GNSO Whois Studies

·         Harmonization in accordance with the Registration Data Policy and
finalizing solution for Whois [public consultations]

*Phase 3*

·         Launch the solution

 What was unequivocally clear from the Whois Review Final Report, that
there were competing views on the use and dissemination of data. Whilst
recommendations were made there was no concrete discussion on the use and
dissemination of data. I agree with Alan that the “recommendations clearly
make sense” and perceive as “fair comment” his views that these are issues
been debated for years. However, I would add caution to the wind and say
that they have been long debated without clear concrete resolutions and
outcomes and this can be attributed to the entire community. Which is why I
find the SSAC’s use of the “blind men and the elephant” and apt analogy of
describing the state of how different “interests” perceive and describe
remedies and solutions or approaches. The issues is not that they are blind
nor is it about insinuating incompetence, it just shows how people wrangle
and hold onto diverse positions without fully comprehending the situation
from a holistic manner.

Having said that there were critical controversial issues from divergent
legislative approaches from prioritization of rights (privacy, data
protection, intellectual property) and liability of intermediaries etc. Of
relevance, are the current GNSO Whois studies[1] <#_ftn1>.  If we examine
the SSAC’s strict recommendation where the Board should defer all
activities in finding a solution on the Whois until there is a Registration
Data Policy[2] <#_ftn2> then it follows there could be a considerable delay
and it would also mean that the Thick Whois Charter is effectively
suspended in the interim pending resolution of the Registration Data
Policy. The SSAC holds the view that the Board should defer all activities
in finding a solution on the Whois until this is done.

However, if we take the view that things can be developed simultaneously,
it follows that there are things can be initiated in the interim pending a
Registration Data Policy.

[1] <#_ftnref1> http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/whois/studies see: Whois
Misuse Study; Whois Proxy and Privacy Abuse; Whois Registrant
Identification and Whois Proxy & Privacy Relay and Reveal Study which the
Report says is due for completion in 2012 and cost $530,000. The
considerable delay in concluding those Reports where now we are told that
these may be completed in 2013.

[2] <#_ftnref2> http://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/documents/sac-055-en.pdf