[ALAC] Analysis of AoC Whois Report Recommendations

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Sep 11 16:19:07 UTC 2012

Sala, these are sage words, but sadly not applicable to our position
on Rec 8 (which is the one using the word "perhaps").

Although I would far prefer to offer unequivocal advice that the
Board could act on its own, it is not at all clear. This
recommendation talks about contract content and possible additional
reporting. Some aspects of contracts with registrars and registries
are decided by bilateral negotiations with ICANN (sanctions in my
mind fall in this category), but requiring additional Whois-related
reporting might well fall under Consensus policy.

Without a thorough analysis from compliance, we really don't know
what is missing at this point (we certainly know part of what is
missing, but whether that is the whole story I don't feel competent to judge.

However, on re-reading our statement, I find that it is less than
clear. Or gramatically correct.

I suggest replacing it with:

>Perhaps, but not obvious.  Changes would likely be the result of
>bilateral negotiations between the parties and ICANN. *If*
>registries and/or registrars will need to take action, such as for
>increased reporting, policy development may be required.

So thanks for causing me to reread it!  :-)

Alan