[ALAC] ICANN meeting on Fridays

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 19:07:06 UTC 2012

Hi Olivier,

I would like to share my two cents. Such a reduction would indeed be
good because then RALO's can also use this cushion for other
activities and meetings that are crammed into early morning like
around 7am on other days. It does seem like a good idea to reduce this
day in the ICANN public meeting schedules but again it may be used for
relieving the crammed activities of constituencies on the earlier days
that have no other place to be squeezed in.

Best

Fouad

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 7:42 PM, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> wrote:
> Dear Folks,
>
> there is currently some discussion amongst the Board and SO/ACs, about
> the Friday session at ICANN meetings.
> The sessions starts at 8:00 with Board Committee Report, then continuing
> with SO/AC Chair Reports and then the ICANN Board Meeting.
> Traditionally, this has been poorly attended and rather boring to sit
> through.
>
> There is discussion whether this could be replaced with written reports
> to be filed on the ICANN Web Site, thus shortening the ICANN week by one
> day. Any note of thanks would take place in the Thursday afternoon
> Public Forum & Wrap up.
>
> The response I have provided so far, is that whilst I am not against
> having our ALAC report published instead of spoken -- for those of you
> who have attended, I have kept my spoken report to less than 3 minutes
> but for some, the reporting is really tedious and long --, I am
> concerned that this would shorten an already packed week. In particular,
> the ALAC Executive Committee meets on Friday afternoon and this is the
> time when we have access to the CEO, COO, CFO etc. This is the time when
> we can really interchange with Senior ICANN staff. I am therefore
> concerned that ICANN not having a morning session on Fridays would mean
> our afternoon session would be scrapped too.
>
> Also, in San José, we also used the Friday morning for LACRALO capacity
> building, so this day was needed.
>
> I'd be interested in your point of view, so that I can relay it to the
> Board members who have asked me my point of view.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond
> ALAC Chair

Regards.