[ALAC] ICANN meeting on Fridays

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 20:32:15 UTC 2012

I'm in agreement with Tijani here and for the very reasons he outlined.

Lord knows reducing the burn for a day would have been helpful in a very
personal way. But I think a public board meeting at least 3 times a year
sends a very important signal to the community and gives all of us a chance
to read 'body language' or even witness a voluble dissent when matters come
to the vote.

Yes to continued formal Board committee reports. But I would err on the
side for format like the ALAC's; highlights only and keep it to 5 minutes,
tops.

@Sala, other than a recent grant of a stipend to the Chair, ICANN Board
members DO NOT get paid. Not even a a stipend! I am on record in support
for payment/stipend. Way too much time is required to work effectively for
no compensation.  And it not's because of affordability.

Here's my fundamental problem with that posture of non-compensation. It
undermines the diversity objective by effectively reduces the pool of
prospective Board members from places like where I live.  A very effective
non-intrusive barrier to entry.

- Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799