[ALAC] Fwd: ICANN News Alert -- New gTLD Batching Announcement

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 01:21:46 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:

> Personally, I would limit any comment of ALAC's to
> 1) Demand that community and IDN applications be given advanced priority as
> a matter of public benefit
> 2) Repeat our warning of the bias against developing economies evidenced by
> the relegation of applications requesting support
> 3) Note the damage to ICANN's reputation created by the choice of a
> selection method that can appear to be gamed

I asked for this batching business to be placed on the Ex-Com agenda,
hoping for some of the arguments I see here to be aired.  This thread has
done a lot to cement my own feelings.

Any notion that a batching process can be 'gamed'  and rational people are
actually betting money on it is reason enough to reject batching as
injurious to process.

I personally don't see much of a ALAC comment about this other than to
gripe "what are you doing? Can't you see you're thrashing your already iffy
reputation".  Perhaps the statement could double down on relegation of
support applicants to the back of the bus as insult to injury.  But who
would care?

On second thoughts, let's take a bye on this.

- Carlton