[ALAC] Rule 27 - At-Large Director selection

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Aug 24 16:41:49 UTC 2010

Thanks you all for your comments and support for getting this new RoP
section done in record time. I am attaching the final version of Rule
27 to be incorporated into the Rules of Procedure.

The final version differs from the draft in the following ways:

1. Explicit reference to electronic votes.

2. Including documents related to creation of the selection process
in the history to be kept.

3. A provision saying that a person cannot simultaneously be a BCEC
member and part of the designated elector group (ALAC member or RALO Chair).

4. A requirement that in the case of a tie, the specific election be
re-held once if time permits.

Regarding the last item, I think we all agree that an election (or
candidate elimination) selected by random draw is NOT the best
outcome. If someone can come up with a better alternative, there is
still time to change it. In some groups, one person's ballot is not
counted unless there is a tie (often the Chair). That would work in
the case of the final vote but not necessarily to eliminate a tie for
3rd place. Also, withholding a vote can cause one candidate to win
where using the vote would give a tie (this effectively says that the
vote withheld causes the "Chair's choice" to loose - less than
optimal). But there must be other ideas as well.