[IDN-WG] Fwd: ICANN News Alert -- IDN Variant TLD Program - Procedure to Develop and Maintain the Label Generation Rules for the Root Zone in Respect of IDNA Labels
edmon at isoc.hk
Tue Nov 13 07:49:38 UTC 2012
Please find attached a draft response to project 2.1: http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/lgr-procedure-24sep12-en.htm, based on the discussion at the IDN-WG meeting in Toronto.
The plan is to circulate this within the IDN-WG to incorporate any further thoughts/ideas from this group, and then pass it to ALAC for voting so that it could be passed over to the project team as ALAC advice.
From: Edmon Chung [mailto:edmon at isoc.hk]
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:08 AM
To: 'Rinalia Abdul Rahim'; 'idn-wg at atlarge-lists.icann.org'
Subject: RE: [IDN-WG] Fwd: ICANN News Alert -- IDN Variant TLD Program - Procedure to Develop and Maintain the Label Generation Rules for the Root Zone in Respect of IDNA Labels
After reading up on the posted document and the discussions that took place during the working group meetings last weekend here in Toronto, the following is a brief proposed set of points we could include in our response to the public comments process:
Points commending the work of the project team:
- Good progress since the beginning of Phase 2 of the VIP
- Encouraged by the acceptance of an observer on the project team from ALAC (Rinalia)
- The overall primary-secondary propose/check framework is sensible and is consistent with the community consensus that accepts the differences between language/script communities and provides for a process that allows them to go at their pace through the process.
Points of concern:
- The composition of the 2 panels as described appears problematic:
- lack of policy expertise
- technically biased even as we understand that the essence of the VIP work is to find the balance between policy and technical requirements
- secondary panel to be formed entirely of paid consultants of ICANN does the opposite of ensure non-conflict of interest
- Secondary panel processes unchecked
- there is no review process for the secondary panel
- unanimity requirement in Secondary panel can open it for capture/blockade by a single person
- Lack of consideration for how the processes would then be implemented
- considering audience at ICANN and what additional information need to be included (e.g. what is not included and why)
- first mover advantage not explained properly
- many of the viewers of the document could be TLD applicants (g or cc) and would be thinking how this affects/play in those processes, there is need to add information about this even in a simple form
Sorry for sending this into the group so late. Looking forward to discussing it further at our meeting.
From: idn-wg-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org [mailto:idn-wg-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org] On Behalf Of Rinalia Abdul Rahim
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:00 PM
To: No name
Subject: [IDN-WG] Fwd: ICANN News Alert -- IDN Variant TLD Program - Procedure to Develop and Maintain the Label Generation Rules for the Root Zone in Respect of IDNA Labels
Dear IDN Working Group,
The forwarded mail is for your information. We have several opportunities to comment on the document on IDN Variant TLD Program (Procedure to Develop and Maintain the Label Generation Rules for the Root Zone in Respect of IDNA Labels):
1. Via the current public comments process.
2. In Toronto during the session focused on the document.
3. Via the second public comments process in November.
If you have an input for official responses from the ALAC on this topic, please forward your comments to this working group list.
Note: Edmon and I will provide you with an update on IDN matters at the IDN WG meeting in Toronto, which is scheduled for Wednesday October 17 (4.30pm-6:00pm local Canadian time) - please check the ICANN Toronto Public Meeting schedule, which is published at http://toronto45.icann.org/full-schedule.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: ICANN News Alert <communications at icann.org>
Date: Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM
Subject: ICANN News Alert -- IDN Variant TLD Program - Procedure to Develop and Maintain the Label Generation Rules for the Root Zone in Respect of IDNA Labels
To: rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
ICANN News Alert
IDN Variant TLD Program – Procedure to Develop and Maintain the Label Generation Rules for the Root Zone in Respect of IDNA Labels
24 September 2012
Comment Period Opens on 24 September 2012
Categories/Tags: Top-Level Domains
The Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) Variant TLD Program deals with the variant form of top-level domain (TLD) names in different scripts. To enable IDN Variant TLDs in the root, it is necessary to establish the Label Generation Rules (LGR) for the DNS Root Zone.
The Label Generation Rules Process is a way to develop and maintain the Label Generation Rules for the Root Zone in respect of IDNA labels.
The process must be in place to enable the delegation and management of IDN Variant TLDs. The Label Generation Rules (LGR) Process project team, consisting of global volunteers with expert consultants and ICANN staff, has produced the first public draft of the LGR Process document. The team now seeks community input on the proposed process and the principles that support it.
The Label Generation Rules (LGR) Process document will be discussed at a public session at the ICANN meeting in Toronto in October 2012. The session schedule will be available at ICANN Toronto Meeting Website ( http://toronto45.icann.org/full-schedule). Comments received in this Public Comment period as well as community feedback during the Toronto meeting will be incorporated into the final draft and published for second round of Public Comment in November 2012.
Public Comment Box Link:
This message was sent to rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com from:
ICANN | 12025 Waterfront Drive
Suite 300 | Los Angeles, CA 90094-2536
Manage Your Subscription:
IDN-WG mailing list
IDN-WG at atlarge-lists.icann.org
IDN WG Wiki: https://st.icann.org/idn-policy/index.cgi?at_large_idn_policy
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 23526 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/idn-wg/attachments/20121113/1d952028/ALAC-response-VIP2.1_DRAFT-0001.docx
More information about the IDN-WG