[At-Large] ACCOUNTABILITY Restart - Was Re: ICANN Accountability Mechanisms

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 16:40:02 UTC 2022

Jeff:
I really don't understand why a duty of the Board delegated to staff would
inoculate it from the constraints in byelaw or shield it from constraining
counteractions envisioned by those byelaws.  The rule of agency should
apply.

An example from the edge of empire where the rules are largely from the
same root as the governance framework that corrals the ICANN board would
probably best explain my puzzle. I chair a school board. The regulations -
analogous to the bye-laws - allow the delegation of duties to which the
board is obligated by an affirmative resolution of the board to the
administration of the school. We delegated the hiring and operational
supervision of teachers to the administration. Professional misconduct is
alleged by a teacher hired by the administration. We are obliged to endorse
and/or direct any lawful countervailing action by the administration. But
for the law and oversight education ministry, it is the Board that is
accountable and is constrained to act as the regulations determine.
Everybody comes to the Board, not the hirelings.

It seems to me that all the ICANN Board needs to do is to acknowledge that
any obligation of the Board that was delegated by an affirmative resolution
is and remains an obligation of the Board and the attendant instruments are
neither unmoored or marooned by delegation. Because anything otherwise
would be a way of evading, indeed nullify, every duty and obligation to
which it is obligated.  You are alleging that it has relieved itself of
responsibility - and accountability! - by hiding behind the delegation.
That, if so, would be an example of the kind of behavior the Empowered
Community should have a stake in correcting.  I'm wondering whether you
called on the GNSO and CCNSO to take this into consideration?

Carlton
*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*