[At-Large] R: R: R: Is ICANN's oversight really moving away from the US government?

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Sat Apr 9 18:51:45 UTC 2016

Roberto,

I'm a grassroots guy trying to find a way for the Net to address the
needs of my neighborhood. And a lot of this global stuff goes over my
head. But if the GAC were to move ahead on a treaty, I suspect many of
us would say "Hey! This is supposed to be a bottom up process. The
governments pushing a treaty, no way, top-down, boo."

Perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't Parminder's thought bottom-up,
and in-line with the multi-stakeholder concept? (And I see some merit in
his concerns about gTLD governance.)

But I'm not in love with the idea of a traditional treaty organization.
Perhaps we could address the issues raised in a creative manner, break
with tradition and fashion a multi-stakeholder treaty. For a start,
perhaps we could present the states with an outline of what the At-Large
sees as a suitable outcome, solicit their thoughts, while suggesting
that the solution should include a continuing role for the At-Large. And
see what they draft.

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt