[At-Large] ICANN News Alert -- Update on Registrar Accreditation Agreement Amendments

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Sep 26 10:35:25 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 7:25 PM, "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight"
<michele at blacknight.ie> wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2012, at 05:47, John R. Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>
>>> It is almost impossible these days to sign onto a mailing list or get
>>> a free id on some web site without clicking on a link in an e-mail.
>>> Yet apparently, you can register a domain name without such a nicety.
>>
>> Quite right.  Mail verification is a solved problem.
>
> Yes and no
>
> it's solved only if you assume that all domain registrations are done via websites .. They're not

What other methods are used?

Feeling like this will be a dense question, but I can only think of
ccTLDs using manual or semi-manual systems of completed forms sent by
email or fax (in themselves with the level verification being asked
built in).

And do you know if there's a breakdown of how registrations are
completed by method (x % by web, x % by fax, x % other means?)

Adam