[At-Large] NTIA - Legally Enforceable Code of Conduct on Consumer Privacy

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Mar 21 22:04:52 UTC 2012

On 03/21/2012 02:27 PM, Carlton Samuels wrote:
> The NTIA [An agency of the U.S. DoC] is seeking comments on the issues that
> will help it to decide whether the time for enforceable codes of conduct on
> consumer privacy is now and,  if so, what are the procedures required to
> develop such codes.

When NTIA attempted to hire me into the counsel's office as
techno-attorney back in the dark ages, when computers ran on steam and
the internet was still largely mechanical (1978) .. the issue on the
table then was much the same as it is today, privacy.

NTIA ought to dig into its files and look at some of the stuff we wrote
for President Carter about these issues and also look at the HEW report
- http://aspe.hhs.gov/datacncl/1973privacy/tocprefacemembers.htm

The thing we most feared back then was linking between databases.  Back
then database linking was something that was prospective, a future.  But
today with companies like Google linked databases on a scale we could
not even begin to imagine back in the 1970's are now common, even routine.

	--karl--