[APAC-Discuss] IGF and Regional IGF Survey [Asia Pacific Survey]

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 02:58:57 UTC 2016

*Call to Participate in the Survey for Input into MAG Open Consultations
4-6th April, 2016*

The MAG under UNDESA is holding its first Open Consultations next week
between the 4th and 6th April, 2016.  As a member of the 2016 MAG and we
are working towards planning the IGF 2016. The first meeting will include
and involve taking stock of the 2015 IGF and reviewing format etc.

As part of enabling informed and inclusive input, you are kindly invited to
assist by participating in this Survey that I have designed to garner
issues important to the Region.

Grateful if you could assist by answering this Survey
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/85WL3CK>.

I have hyperlinked the Survey but here it is again:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/85WL3CK

*About the MAG*

The UN Secretary-General of the United Nations established the Advisory
Group (now referred to as the Multistakeholder Advisory Group - MAG). Its
purpose is to advise the Secretary-General on the programme and schedule of
the Internet Governance Forum meetings. The MAG is comprised of 55 Members
from governments, the private sector and civil society, including
representatives from the academic and technical communities.

This year marks the 10th Anniversary since the inaugural Internet
Governance Forum in Greece in 2006. The Working Group on Internet
Governance (WGIG) preceded the inaugural IGF and was initially established
to create and design the initial phase of the IGF. The IGF has since
evolved to become a robust platform for discussion, collaboration and
exchange of ideas on key public policy issues.

*What is the IGF and its Mandate?*

The Internet Governance Forum (IGF)
<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/2011/press/Backgrounder_What_is_IGF_final.pdf>,
a multistakeholder platform that enables the discussion of public policy
issues pertaining to the Internet. It is a space which the UN gives for all
stakeholders to participate in discussions on equal footing. The Internet
Governance Forum (IGF) serves to bring people together from various
stakeholder groups as equals, in discussions on public policy issues
relating to the Internet. While there is no negotiated outcome, the IGF
informs and inspires those with policy-making power in both the public and
private sectors. At their annual meeting delegates discuss, exchange
information and share good practices with each other. The IGF facilitates a
common understanding of how to maximize Internet opportunities and address
risks and challenges that arise. The IGF is also a space that gives
developing countries the same opportunity as wealthier nations to engage in
the debate on Internet governance and to facilitate their participation in
existing institutions and arrangements. Ultimately, the involvement of all
stakeholders, from developed as well as developing countries, is necessary
for the future development of the Internet.

Under Paragraph 72 of the Tunis Agenda, the United Nations Secretary
General convenes the Internet Governance Forum which is mandated to do the
following:

·          Discuss public policy issues related to key elements of Internet
governance in order to foster the sustainability, robustness, security,
stability and development of the Internet;

·          Facilitate discourse between bodies dealing with different
cross-cutting international public policies regarding the Internet and
discuss issues that do not fall within the scope of any existing body;

·          Interface with appropriate inter-governmental organizations and
other institutions on matters under their purview;

·          Facilitate the exchange of information and best practices, and
in this regard make full use of the expertise of the academic, scientific
and technical communities;

·          Advise all stakeholders in proposing ways and means to
accelerate the availability and affordability of the Internet in the
developing world;

·          Strengthen and enhance the engagement of stakeholders in
existing and/or future Internet governance mechanisms, particularly those
from developing countries;

·          Identify emerging issues, bring them to the attention of the
relevant bodies and the general public, and, where appropriate, make
recommendations;

·          Contribute to capacity building for Internet governance in
developing countries, drawing fully on local sources of knowledge and
expertise;

·          Promote and assess, on an ongoing basis, the embodiment of WSIS
principles in Internet governance processes;

·          Discuss, inter alia, issues relating to critical Internet
resources;

·          Help to find solutions to the issues arising from the use and
misuse of the Internet, of particular concern to everyday users;

·          Publish its proceedings

--

*Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala T*

*P. O. Box 17862*