[RAA-WG] Discussion: Registrar Accreditation Policy

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 26 04:03:47 CDT 2007

Dr. Dierker and all,

  I am a bit confused.  How are your remarks relevant to the ?'s
RJ posed Dr. Dierker?  And yes, some of the illegitimate At Large
members are registrants.  Registrants are users also, btw.  However
as you yourself are not a registrant, of course your interests in
strictly
registrant related issues vis a vie RAA contracts are largely related
to the user to registrant relationship which is almost nil.

  However I find that aspect inconsistent with the smooth running of the

Internet, but not the DNS.  So this requires a more than working
knowledge of how the DNS works and how the Internet works
at a very detailed level.  Of course I know you Dr. Dierker, do
not possess that level of understanding and/or knowledge, yet
I believe you do recognize that if a web site is not available for
some reason, or is not functioning as it did the last time you visited
it, something is amiss.  Hence in a very basic way, the relationship
of user and/or to registrant sometimes works and is to this extent,
related and important.  Hence why this forum is under the
"At Large" umbrella perhaps.  Another good reason this forum
is under the "At Large" umbrella is there is no Independent
Registrant Constituency as many believe there should have been
long ago.  Ergo, RJ's consideration which has been long known
and significantly ignored by the ICANN Bod and staff, that
registrants should be driving, with user input that is relevant,
what provisions in the existing RAA contracts need revising
and or strengthening, and how as well as whom, will enforce
those revised and strengthen provisions.

  So my answers to RJ's very simple good ?'s are, no, yes,
the registrants should be driving this effort, registrants have
no rights what so ever right now, and ICANN does
not need to encourage registrar rating as there are already
independent organizations already doing so.

What is and always has been missing in the RAA's is enforceable
existing provisions, stronger additional provisions which protect
registrants and in turn, users, and viable, fair, but strong
enforcement and a independent Registry watchdog organization.
Instead ICANN relied on Self Regulation and the current milk
toast RAA's reflect that very clearly.

However oversight is what the GNSO was supposed to be doing all
along as part of their duties.  However they have failed terribly in
that and other duties.  The history shows the failures of  the GNSO are
largely due to bad structure, related processes, a significant
enamerism for politically correct discourse and other marketing
related dogma, and a loss of consideration and respect for users
and registrants as a result.  So as my friend Dan Swanson has
says, You can't send a duck to eagle school.
See:
http://www.walkthetalk.com/cant-send-duck-eagle-school-p-248.html?SRC=WPOIDUCK&ref=64

Regards,
--
Jeffrey A. Williams
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827