[RAA-WG] Starting the discussion

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 25 06:33:09 CDT 2007

Vittorio and all,

  I agree that rating mechanisms are not difficult.  In fact two days
ago I listed a link that is already doing ratings.

  Compliance mechanisms are far more difficult to effect if they
are to be effective and enforceable.  The OECD Member countries
adopted a Recommendation on Consumer Dispute Resolution and
Redress to provide governments with a framework to help consumers
resolve disputes and settle claims with business.
See: http://www.oecd.org/department/0,3355,en_2649_34267_1_1_1_1_1,00.html
and has a mandate, see:
http://webnet3.oecd.org/OECDgroups/Bodies.asp?body_id=1677&lng=E
to develop principles leading to a fair and  transparent marketplace and seeks
to ensure their effective implementation online and across borders.
Also see:
http://www.oecd.org/document/21/0,3343,en_21571361_34590630_34591253_1_1_1_1,00.html
regarding OECD's resources on Internet Governance.

  Such may work for EU countries, however are not likely to be
globally excepted.

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> Danny Younger ha scritto:
> > To that end, I am looking for RAA contract language
> > that stipulates requirements with words such as "MUST"
> > (instead of "MAY").
> >
> > The upcoming revisions to the RAA represent a chance
> > to properly police the registrar industry in the
> > public interest...  it also represents the possibility
> > of new loopholes to be exploited by the registrar
> > community.
> >
> > Whatever language emerges will need to be thoroughly
> > scrutinized.
>
> I agree with your view. At the same time, this will be a negotiation, so
> we will have to see what we can get out of this. However, my objective
> is also to raise longer term issues - even if we can't manage to get
> them into this round of revisions to the RAA, at least we can release
> some seeds so that further changes can happen in the next round, or that
> problems can be addressed at the level of GNSO PDPs or staff activity
> (ratings and compliance mechanisms are two things that do not need to go
> through a PDP, for example).
> --
> vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
> -------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827