[NA-Discuss] Protecting the public interest: dot-zip

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon May 29 18:03:38 UTC 2023

On Mon, May 29, 2023 at 8:50 AM David Mackey via NA-Discuss <
na-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org> wrote:

The ZIP domain is only one example of the more general problem where TLD
> and File Extension namespaces. Other examples coming from ccTLD namespace
> are .PL (Poland vs Perl Script) and .SH (Saint Helena and Shell Script). An
> interesting detailed discussion on this complexity can be found here
> <https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=35930160>. The fact there are
> already namespace collisions, does not diminish the need for us to pay
> attention to it when expanding TLD namespace.

What is different IMO is the scale of use and awareness. Shell and Perl
scripts are known to software developers but not generally known to the
public, and they contain readable text. OTOH, both the ZIP and MOV
extensions are in common use and their files are un-human-readable binary
blobs; by definition both are compressed data.

> From a strictly end user's perspective,

That's (supposed to be) the only perspective that matters within At-Large,
as defined by the ICANN bylaws. Other constituencies have their own voices
which they are not shy to use.

> I think it's safe to conclude that TLD and File Extension namespace
> collisions do have the potential to add cognitive load to an end user's
> ability to safely navigate domain name space.

Funny how nobody has considered this to date. I guess since it's primarily
an end-user concern, if ALAC doesn't raise it the issue doesn't get raised.
Heaven forbid any other corner of ICANN, with all the resources available
to it over the decades, would not consider this (or have considered it when
applications for .ZIP and .MOV were evaluated).

> By the way, is NA-Discuss the right mailing list for this discussion?
> Would this thread be better in the CPWG mailing list?

The supposed bottom-up process is that ALSs raise issues here in the RALO,
and appropriate committee members (be they ALAC or CPWG) escalate as needed
if deemed worthy.

In addition to the two elected ALAC reps that are accountable to the ALSs,
there are many CPWG members who are in NARALO (including its Chair). Since
I am no longer on the CPWG I raise the issue here in the hope that At-Large
will see this as an issue worthy of deeper attention. My expectations are
low since CPWG members tend to focus on issues with little or no relevance
to non-registrant end users (applicant support, closed generics, TLD
auctions, registry relationships). Its track record on ICANN issues that
actually impact end-users (enforcement against bad actors, PICs, the .ORG
transfer, public education, etc) is pretty grim. Let's see if attention to
this issue can improve that record.

- Evan