[NA-Discuss] REMINDER: RESPONSES REQUESTED: An end user perspective: The next gTLD application window

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Jun 12 14:51:50 UTC 2023

Comments left.
Thanks for the starting point.

I think the biggest challenge (IMO) is focus.

ALAC and its sub-groups need to stop worrying about things that are mainly
of interest to those who buy and sell domains (closed generics, community
applications) and pay more attention to where we can have the most impact
(such as public education).

As one example... regarding UA.

Rather than ALAC wading in at a policy level regarding technical
incompatibilities between private sector actors (ie, between TLD registries
and the websites that don't accept them). ALAC has a major role to play in
documenting these incompatibilities. If dot-gallery email addresses aren't
valid on the American Airlines website (to use Greg's example), we should
be documenting that and alerting end-users of where the new domains don't
work. It's harder work than a mere policy statement and it's embarrassing
to the parties involved ... but maybe our most effective path is to
embarrass players into action rather than trying to bend ICANN policy or
cheerleading its sales campaigns.

Cheers,

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56