[NA-Discuss] Fwd: [CPWG] ACTION/CPWG - Request for Input on Transfer Policy Review PDP Charter (24 June)

Eduardo Diaz eduardodiazrivera at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 15:34:02 UTC 2021

For your information and the action of those of you who understand the
intrinsic details of this policy and its impact on the end user, which in
this case is mostly end users who own domain names. My understanding is
that this policy was created to standardize the process of transferring a
domain name  from one Registrar to another with the underlying goal of
preventing/reducing domain hijacking or unauthorized domain transfers.

Having mentioned the above, I believe that there is an impact on the
end-user, i.e. people that do not own or know nothing about owning a domain
name, as well.  The impact is better explained by using an example:

   1. An end-user uses an application to help in finding additional
   information for a project all the time.
   2. The domain that the application uses is hijacked via a domain
   transferred between Registrars.
   3. The impact to the end-user is that, for no apparent reason, the
   application has disappeared and something else has replaced it or worse,
   the application looks the same but now it is used to gather personal
   information without your knowledge. The result is that the end-user loses
   trust in the Internet and the DNS.

Current policy is located here:
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/transfer-policy-2016-06-01-en

Transfer Review PDP Workspace is here:
https://community.icann.org/display/TPRPDP/Transfer+Policy+Review+PDP

Early Input Request is here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MsaU6sc3TU3azo2-pCWW9A6GWJ0a7XzT/view?usp=sharing

I encourage our members to get acquainted with the current policy and this
PDP by browsing the information provided. This is one of those PDP that are
relatively easy to understand (at least for those of us that own domains).
The more informed that you are, the better the input that we can provide
from the region.

-ed