[NA-Discuss] More evidence of the decline of "memorable" domains

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jan 28 17:00:01 UTC 2021

As I've said before, the greed and rent-seeking of the domain industry has
been doing an excellent job driving both providers and consumers of
Internet services to seek alternatives to "memorable" domain names. Every
Google search and every Facebook corporate page gives people a more-useful
way for people to get what they want from the net.

One more recent manifestation of this phenomenon caught my eye. Ten years
ago airlines started putting their web domains boldly on the side of their
planes. But now we have this:

[image: Azores-Airlines-Airbus-A321LR-e1562685732426.jpeg]

It's on all their planes. and consumers know what to do when they see it.
Use the QR code or search Azores Air.
Who needs to know that it's a Portuguese airline with a .pt domain?
Who needs to care?
The FQDN is in small print while the other access methods predominate.
This is where things are going, folks.
Don't believe the hype. And don't pay the ransom.
Almost everyone who defends the ruse  has a vested interest in maintaining
it.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56