[NA-Discuss] Discussion of North American Strategy

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat Dec 3 18:48:58 UTC 2016

It is truly sad that nobody considers the existing strategy of NARALO to
actually perform its bylaw-mandated agenda, and perhaps enumerate the
fields of policy and public-education expertise in which it wishes to
exhibit leadership.

This is not just an exercise in the theoretical: A US congressman has taken
aim at ICANN based on a campaign of misinformation. That campaign seems to
have no answer, according to the RALO in the appropriate region. NOTE: this
congressman is still in power, and the newly elected US administration
appears sympathetic to his views:

Meanwhile, a major rift between the GAC and GNSO threatens ICANN at the
very core, and if it doesn't resolve well there will be nobody to care
about -- let alone fund -- NARALO's little outreach efforts.

WHAT LEADERSHIP IS NARALO EXHBITING  TO ANSWER THIS? Or even to inform its
ALSs on these issues? The events unfolding around us demand that this is
not the time for more sustained navel gazing.

A shopping list of disadvantaged groups to whom do outreach to is an
absolute waste of effort and money if there is no clue what to do with all
them once they are brought together. A case could easily be made that all
this emphasis on outreach is a smokescreen to hide the utter vacuum of
policy interest here.

NARALO used to produce more policy inputs to ALAC than the other RALOs
combined. And it didn't need a bloody strategic plan to do so.

Cheers,
Evan

Evan Leibovitch
Geneva, CH