[NA-Discuss] On special election for the election of our board seat

Eduardo Diaz eduardodiazrivera at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 16:41:39 UTC 2014

My recommendation is to go for #2.

-ed

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Garth Bruen <gbruen at knujon.com> wrote:

> Hello NARALO'ers (-ites?),
>
> There was a brief discussion on Monday's call about a pending election. I
> realize the discussion and issue is very confusing so I will hope to sort
> it
> out here for everyone. IF I HAVE MADE ANY FACTUAL ERRORS IN THE PROCESS
> PLEASE TELL ME.
>
> The ICANN Board of Directors has one seat for an At-Large representative
> ("Seat #15"). The term of our current Board member ends this year. This
> person is voted on by leadership in the At-Large Advisory Council (ALAC)
> and
> the five (5) RALO chairs under rule #27.7.
>
> Current Board is here: http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board
>
> ALAC members running for the Board may NOT vote in the election. This means
> a proxy voter must be selected  and affirmed by a vote under rule #
> 19.10.1.
> The vote is a requirement, but how the alternate voters are selected is not
> defined.
>
> Two of our ALAC members: Alan Greenberg and Evan Leibovitch, are both
> running for seat #15 so we need TWO replacement voters from NARALO.
>
> Since I am the Chair and I am already voting. I cannot have second vote.
>
> These are some of my sugestions for selecting alternative voters:
>
> 1. Assign the votes to our two other leadership positions: Louis Houle
> (NOMCOM) and Glenn McKnight (Secretary)
>
> 2. Select two (2) alternate voting candidates though a VOTE from ALL of the
> NARALO ALS operators, excluding the ALAC reps and NARALO Chair - affirm two
> alternates by vote.
>
> 3. Select two (2) alternate voting candidates RANDOMLY from ALL of the
> NARALO ALS operators, excluding the ALAC reps and NARALO Chair - affirm two
> alternates by vote.
>
> I will entertain other suggestions.
>
> To be clear, there are several "votes" involved here:
>
> A) Potential vote for method of selecting alternative seat #15 voters (vote
> not required, can be done through consensus)
> B) An official vote for two (2) alternate seat #15 voters (ALL ALS
> representatives vote in this process)
> C) A vote for the Board seat #15 representative (Voting by Eduardo Diaz -
> ALAC, Garth Bruen - Chair, Alternate #1, Alternate #2)
>

> There are many who would prefer that we select a Board representative
> through a vote by ALL ALSes or ALL At-Large particiapants, but that is a
> separate discussion.
>
> Thanks, Garth

*NOTICE:* This email may contain information which is confidential and/or
subject to legal privilege, and is intended for the use of the named
addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use,
disclose or copy any part of this email. If you have received this email by
mistake, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately.