[NA-Discuss] FW: The European Commission Papers on ICANN

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Sep 8 13:09:24 UTC 2011

> The question I therefore ask you and all of the cynics is, "how do we
> change that"?

>From within the ALAC?  We can't.  We have no influence other than at the
margins.

> You'll notice the ALAC recently released a joint statement with the GAC.

Yup, the GAC has actual influence.  To the extent we can nudge them, that
would be useful.

> I remain convinced that we have more resources than any other
> constituency in ICANN due to our extraordinary membership. We are the
> world.

Not to be unduly crass, but we have no budget.  In all the consituencies
that matter, people get paid to lobby ICANN.

Regards, John Levine, johnl at iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies", Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail.
http://jl.ly